Help me out here >

Help me out here

Notices

Help me out here

Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Hey guys. I'm thinking of making some changes in boating. I am considering this Liberator 201. I can get a SMOKING deal on the boat. It has some hull rot here and there, nothing major. Just the transom and stringers and interior are shot. But, I have a unlimited supply of plywood scraps, as a buddy works for the local lumber yard. other than that, the boat just needs some TLC. There was a small fire under the dash, too. Anyhow, as it sits, the engine is locked up (boat been left out in the rain uncovered since 1992). Which is ok, because i am highly talented in rebuilding engines and woodworking, and should be good to go there. Here is what I would like to build for power.

Reuse the stock cast crankshaft. It will need to be cut 40/30, but I am not rich, and buying a new crank is not in the budget.

Reuse the stock 3/8 GM rods. They look to be in good shape, along with the bolts after i soak them in marvel mystery oil for a few weeks. I am not rich, so new rods are not in the budget.

The pistons are gonna need to be replaced. I will be going with some used ones out of my buddys 454 truck engine. I am not rich, so new pistons are not in the budget.

That should take care of the bottom ends. I think they will hold up to 6000RPM, or so I have heard. Which brings me to the good stuff.

I Found a used flat tappet cam and lifter set on ebay. The cam is a 194/203, with .398 lift. I plan to retard it 2 degrees, for a little more top end. I am not rich, new cams are not in the budget.

I am going to keep the peanut butter port heads. I have seen, i mean heard, they can support 700HP. Probably just derust them and throw a couple shims under the stock valvesprings, since i plan to turn about 6000 wot. I am not rich, new heads are not in the budget.

Which brings me to my question. I am in a real pickle here. I am really undecided on which route to go for an intake manifold. I have seen, i mean heard, that a dual plane will be the way to go, as long as i am under 7250RPM. Just not sure. Either that, or my buddy has a single plane weiand intake that he would give me if i mow his lawn. I am not rich, so new intakes are not in the budget.

If you guys can give some thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate it. By the way, my total budget for this build is 672 dollars. I would like to show everyone you dont need to be a spoon fed rich boy to make some BIG horsepower. Which, btw I am shooting for 650-700HP on this build. Keep in mind, I am looking low end TORQUE and MIDRANGE punch. I think when i am all done, I'm gonna be embarrassing quite a few of you big shots with your Fountains and Cigarettes, especially when it gets rough. The liberators are a deep vee. Any thoughts?

Last edited by mcprodesign; 03-06-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
will you sell me the 4 6 8 caddy engine,that would be bad azz in the bayliner if i win the auction.
Im not sure its in your budget. The particular version i have is out of a BROUGHAM . Maybe if you want you can make installments on it. But I will only warranty it if you let me do the install and tuning on it. I can set it up so its in 4 cylinder mode while planing, to save your drive. It will be just like a procharger
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Registered

I think the crank will clean up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Help me out here-liberatorcrank.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap my gut is hurting to much from laughing, this is some good stuff right here.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 4,289 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Mild, I put together a viv collection for you detailing how I build my 7000rpm monsters. Here an excerpt on the head torquing sequence, please pay close attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIU0R7sOjm8 I got new compressor too, it rocks!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN JACK
Holy crap my gut is hurting to much from laughing, this is some good stuff right here.
Same here man. I just figured the general discussion always gets fun threads, thought it be fun for the tech section to get a few laughs in. Just some good fun.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Mild, I put together a viv collection for you detailing how I build my 7000rpm monsters. Here an excerpt on the head torquing sequence, please pay close attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIU0R7sOjm8 I got new compressor too, it rocks!
Very nice!!!! Is that a pancake compressor you have there? I was thinking about getting one. I need to run my air powered sawzall for cutting out my rotted stringers. If not, I will probably use my trusty hand saw. My dad and I used to cut down xmas trees with it no problem back in the day.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Mike you are really de railing this fine thread. Structure, oh you mean my 3,500 square foot custom home in the foreground? Oh yeah that building! I live in Arabian country(east Scottsdale), better tell all these poor ranch owners tractors equal poor! according to mike from OSO. Listen you are too dumb to compete with me using words. Drop it so the thread can continue! Oh yeah, I hate you. Have a nice life
arty-smiley-048:
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I found this site, you guy's are really giving me some good info I can use. I don't know where I went wrong the last time I tried them peanut butter heads, all they did for me was gum up my cylinder walls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519891[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Help me out here-block.bmp  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.