Mounting sea strainer

Notices

Mounting sea strainer

Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Priobe
Yea but if I install a ball valve can't I just close the valve?
Yep. I might do the same. The valve is good for freshwater flushing at the dock, regardless of above/below the waterline. (I'd still put it above if you have a choice - and you do)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You definitely want the ball valve in the water line between the strainer and the outdrive. The strainer is there to stop debris from getting into the pump. Since you're adding the strainer, you also want to have your fresh water flush inlet on the other side of the strainer from the ball valve (ie: between strainer and raw water pump). This way, you can fresh water flush with the boat in the water by simply shutting the valve off. Also, with the flush inlet on this side, you can also back-flush the strainer with fresh water when it gets clogged. I have found that the easiest way to clear a strainer with the boat in the water is to shut the valve, remove the lid and then momentarily open the valve to let the water in and it will push all of the crap up and over into the bilge where you can then pump it out. Obviously, you want to keep the valve closed when you put the lid back on or you will flood the boat.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

242ls
Can you send or post a pick as to where you mounted yours.

His would be a great help
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Mounting them this weekend! Never had them before.....
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you thinking of mounting them in the same place on the battery shelf?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine have valves at the thru hull pick ups like they are supposed to but I don't have to close them to flush, with the lid off and a hose stuck in there the engines can't pull any saltwater they get all fresh and flush fine.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Priobe
Are you thinking of mounting them in the same place on the battery shelf?
Not definite until I get in there, but I like Randy's position in the pic above. Currently, I have fuel/water separators in that spot and elec fuel pumps just below. They'd have to move. If I get it done before the rain hits today, I'll post a pic.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If im reading your description correctly there are 3 inlets/outlets?
Originally Posted by HyFive578
You definitely want the ball valve in the water line between the strainer and the outdrive. The strainer is there to stop debris from getting into the pump. Since you're adding the strainer, you also want to have your fresh water flush inlet on the other side of the strainer from the ball valve (ie: between strainer and raw water pump). This way, you can fresh water flush with the boat in the water by simply shutting the valve off. Also, with the flush inlet on this side, you can also back-flush the strainer with fresh water when it gets clogged. I have found that the easiest way to clear a strainer with the boat in the water is to shut the valve, remove the lid and then momentarily open the valve to let the water in and it will push all of the crap up and over into the bilge where you can then pump it out. Obviously, you want to keep the valve closed when you put the lid back on or you will flood the boat.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Sorry Priobe - no progress. The rain hit just as I was trying to open the hatch (my battery booster to jump to the hydraulic lift motor wan't charged enough).
Old 03-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
If im reading your description correctly there are 3 inlets/outlets?
It depends on the strainer. The minimum is an inlet and outlet for the raw water and some have the flush inlet right on the strainer in which case, yes there would be three ports on the strainer. If the strainer only has two ports, then you can add a tee in the line between the strainer and the sea water pump and connect your flush there.. this is how my previous boat was set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.