Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
500 EFI Issues. Wont Stay running......PLEASE HELP!! >

500 EFI Issues. Wont Stay running......PLEASE HELP!!

Notices

500 EFI Issues. Wont Stay running......PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI Issues. Wont Stay running......PLEASE HELP!!

I have twin 1999 500 efi's in my boat. I pulled the boat out of storage today and I went to go start it. It will run for about 1 minute then die......like is is out of fuel. I took off the fuel filter and it make a hiss noise like pressure had built up and the fuel filter was only 1/2 full. I refilled the fuel filter with fuel and it starts right up. Again, only runs for about 1 minute at idle and then dies. When I turn the key you can hear a whining noise like always. If I turn the key on an off a bunch of times (more then 10), the boat will start again but then die after 1 minute. Here is the most confusing part- both motors do the same thing!!?? I cannot figure it out. I think I am looking my marbles!! There is plently of fuel in it, new fuel filters, etc. What am I missing?? Please help......leaving for a triip in 1 week. Thanks guys.. Mike
Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Plugged tank vent? See how long it runs with the cap off.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

this might sound silly but did you charge the battery,s?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Plugged tank vent? See how long it runs with the cap off.
dam good idea! but both tanks,maybe.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

I can recharge them but they are charged enough to start the boat though.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

I took off the cap and blew compressed air into the take to make sure the vents weren't clogged. There were not.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hook up fuel psi gauge on rail when it quits make sure psi is also dropping to make sure it is a fuel issue ,then i would hook the engine up to test fuel tank,if it still does it bad fuel pump,if problem goes away you have a restriction in the fuel line,probably in the anti syphon valve if it has one.The early 500 efi only had the electric pump while the later ones also had a mechanical pump which could also be your issue
Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by 36outlawguy
I took off the fuel filter and it make a hiss noise like pressure had built up and the fuel filter was only 1/2 full. I refilled the fuel filter with fuel and it starts right up. Again, only runs for about 1 minute at idle and then dies. When I turn the key you can hear a whining noise like always. If I turn the key on an off a bunch of times (more then 10), the boat will start again but then die after 1 minute. Here is the most confusing part- both motors do the same thing!!?? I cannot figure it out. I think I am looking my marbles!! There is plently of fuel in it, new fuel filters, etc. What am I missing?? Please help......leaving for a triip in 1 week. Thanks guys.. Mike
Good info. The hiss will be from breaking a vacuum, not from psi inside filter. This means you either have an air leak before the filter/seperator - crack in fuel tank pickup, loose fitting, hose, filter oring - or a restriction like an antiphon valve sticking.

Filling the separator/filter and it running for a bit means from filter to electric pump to engine working fine.

Tighten all hose clamps, see if any fitting can be tightened a little more, and if that doesn't work....check antisiphon valve and then tank pickup.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

MDGperformance- I do not have a fuel PSI gauge. Again, both engines are doing the exact same thing......what are the chances that both fuel pumps are bad? They are both electronic. Where is the anti-syphon valve?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Registered

Where is the anti-siphon valve? I have a 1999 36 outlaw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.