Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
lying to your insurance company? ?? >

lying to your insurance company? ??

Notices

lying to your insurance company? ??

Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure if you are familiar with the accident at Lake Texoma several years ago. That was one of my customers. Both boats were a complete and total loss. My customers boat was insured for quite a chunk of change. He was 100% truthful with the insurance company. They still tried everything under the sun to deny that claim. He told them that it had 1200 hp engines and went XXX mph. They went so far as to call other engine builders to see if the engines could possibly have been making even more power, even though the boat was no where near it's top speed at the time of the accident. They were searching for anything to deny paying out 750K. This drug out for years before they had no choice but to pay. If there was any way they could have gotten out of it, they would have.

Bottom line is that it isn't worth it.
Eddie
Old 05-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Insurance companies read OSO; I know for a fact mine does.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Curious. Let's say a guy builds a set of engines. Totally custom . Never dynoed them. Let's say they are 540 ci with parts that might make 700hp. But he tells the insurance company they are 600hp (let's assume he truly doesn't know what they make). In the even of an accident, will the insurance company take the engine out, and bring it to a dyno shop to verify the power?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Curious. Let's say a guy builds a set of engines. Totally custom . Never dynoed them. Let's say they are 540 ci with parts that might make 700hp. But he tells the insurance company they are 600hp (let's assume he truly doesn't know what they make). In the even of an accident, will the insurance company take the engine out, and bring it to a dyno shop to verify the power?
Such has been done before. I know of one such accident that went down this path. It was a huge quagmire; a pleasure boat being run where it wasn't supposed to be, with power that was not the same as on the insurance policy.

If you send Brett at BBlades your weight, RPM, slip figure, drive gearing, and prop pitch; he can tell you approximate HP. So can some of the calculators on the internet. The insurance companies have experts too. Remember, it's in their best interest to find a way NOT to pay out. As such, they will pay experts for that info.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-28-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

So pretty much unless you dyno your engine, your insurance may be invalid. Wonder how many guys out there have 800hp engines they built themselves that might make 900hp on a dyno.

What about pulley changes ? One engine might make 800hp with one set of pulleys and 900hp with another set of pulleys
Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Such has been done before. I know of one such accident that went down this path. It was a huge quagmire; a pleasure boat being run where it wasn't supposed to be, with power that was not the same as on the insurance policy.

If you send Brett at BBlades your weight, RPM, slip figure, drive gearing, and prop pitch; he can tell you approximate HP. So can some of the calculators on the internet. The insurance companies have experts too. Remember, it's in their best interest to find a way NOT to pay out. As such, they will pay experts for that info.
Maybe the insurance companies should investigate the claimed horsepower before they take your premiums instead of waiting until there is a claim. Oh wait, they gotta make money! Insurance is the biggest racket in this country imo. Doesn't matter if it's car, boat, homeowners , commercial, medical, etc. It's one big money grab, but, we have to play by their rules .

My buddy just got in a car accident. They estimated the damages to be around 8,000 dollars and the car booked at 8500. They wanted to fix it rather than total it. Not to mention they tried prorating the repairs since his hood had previous scratches in it, even though the hood was crumbled in the accident. Unreal
Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Not sure if you are familiar with the accident at Lake Texoma several years ago. That was one of my customers. Both boats were a complete and total loss. My customers boat was insured for quite a chunk of change. He was 100% truthful with the insurance company. They still tried everything under the sun to deny that claim. He told them that it had 1200 hp engines and went XXX mph. They went so far as to call other engine builders to see if the engines could possibly have been making even more power, even though the boat was no where near it's top speed at the time of the accident. They were searching for anything to deny paying out 750K. This drug out for years before they had no choice but to pay. If there was any way they could have gotten out of it, they would have.

Bottom line is that it isn't worth it.
Eddie
What's the name of the company? If that's how they roll then maybe they should be "outed" to spare others the problems. I had a big problem with a claim with progressive when I was rear ended in traffic and the other driver ticketed. They'd rather put their money into advertising than paying claims.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
What's the name of the company? If that's how they roll then maybe they should be "outed" to spare others the problems. I had a big problem with a claim with progressive when I was rear ended in traffic and the other driver ticketed. They'd rather put their money into advertising than paying claims.
This was not your everyday claim. The value of the policy was 750K. I would bet that they don't go that far for a 10K claim. I can't recall the name of them right now. If/when I remember it, I'll post it. I'm having a brain fart right now.
Eddie
Old 05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, what a post, on a open forum at that. Thats like asking who can get inspection stickers at the MSP..

John jr
Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont need to lie. Mine is slow as sheite. My agent said "we dont insure kayak's"....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.