Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam >

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Notices

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
It's just interesting to me, you having to re-engineer your exhaust with that mild of cam. Please post pictures of what you do to your exhaust.
motor, I'm pretty baffled about it too - never dreamed it would come to this. I selected that cam because at first glance the specs led me to believe it would be ideal with my setup. There are folks running the Crane 731 cam even with silent choice systems, and that appears to be a more aggressive cam on paper. I might be worrying about nothing, but I've come this far on this build so I'm going to do my best to make sure it will last a while. I just want to put the hatch down for a while and enjoy the boat!

I'll post up some pictures when I get them back. Makes me wonder if this would help out the folks who were having issues with killing O2 sensors on their Lightnings.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I do not believe the boat exists. 10 different threads on engines but not one boat thread! We need proof of life on the boat!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I do not believe the boat exists. 10 different threads on engines but not one boat thread! We need proof of life on the boat!
You caught me - it's actually an aluminum jon-boat that I'm putting it in. That explains the need for the aluminum heads to keep weight down.

I think the old tub can be seen in the background of a couple of the shots. Definitely retro-ghetto-redneck.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After suffering through 18 pages of this dilemma we are entitled to a video soon!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
After suffering through 18 pages of this dilemma we are entitled to a video soon!!!
HaHa, I'll have to borrow my daughter's GoPro cam.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

Default The Fix is in...

Here is what we came up with. He let it run long so I could measure how much I want to cut off. Going to let it run about 1.75" past the original collector on top and slash cut it down to about 1" past on the bottom. He also gradually flared it from 3.5" up to the original 4" inner diameter for minimal disruption of flow. Might add a bung later to bleed off any excess water, but I think this will do a good job of diverting the water downstream and prevent it from getting sucked back in. Hopefully this will fix my problem.

Back side - thought he did a nice job gradually flaring it out to meet the original pipe:

Old 05-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

BUDMAN, i just read your entire thread from 2014 on reversion. i have the same problem.

what finally worked ????????????
Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

BM, i got your reply about your reversion issues from my other thread. Just replying here.
I'm going to try the alum elbow tube extensions first as i think from all the info here that that may make the biggest difference. The Eddie Marine(similar to stock in way they are built) still dump the water into the exhaust just half a foot downstream of the elbow, and on top of the exh flow at that.

I can only go about 11" until i hit the internal Hardin Marine rubber flappers and i will have to cut the extension back a few inches from the flappers to try to get water mixed in to keep from burning them.

Water dump would be next, but i have a gut feeling that reversion would happen even with less water, just the nature of the exhaust pulses. Brackish water here on the gulf coast just kills the valve seats down so ANY moisture present is out of the question.

I will post results maybe this weekend after i try it.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

the extensions bring up one more question.
SB talked about the slash cut exh tube, long piece on top. Can anyone give info on whether flat cut might be better if you luck out and get the right length?? especially since i only have about 11 inches total available to extend them. I was debating on trying it flat cut, then cutting the slash and run the boat again, but all that gets to be work and time.

It may be a known fact that slash is the way to go, period.

Any experts on this out there on this ?