Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

dan,that is your broom in your shop!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
isn't this just a damn boat motor ..With a moderate cam ................what the ...I have run far bigger cams ..some with lightening headers,, and never had this many issues ..........Or ,should I say debates......Not to be a smartass ,but i'm beginning to think you're afraid to put the motor in the boat and run it ...Could have written a couple of books ..........
Dang Motor, wasn't my intent to ruffle any feathers. Just trying to not make any major mistakes like I did with my previous motor. Don't want to be doing this a THIRD time - I don't think OSO or my own sanity could handle another one of these builds. And yes, I am scared to run it in the boat if I'm going to revert water and ruin a set of $2000 heads. I'm sorry if I'm driving some of you guys crazy, but if someone else learns from some of the problems I have had to deal with on this build, then that's what OSO's all about. That being said, I've learned a lot doing this build - I put this thing together from start to finish, and I don't do this for a living. Hopefully some of the rest of us will benefit too. I have to say that I really appreciate the time a lot of you have spent answering questions and offering ideas, and I try to do the same for others who are asking questions on here when I know the answer.

I do agree with you that with this cam I should just be able to bolt the headers on and go. Don't know why that's not the case, but I'm going to figure it out. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by mike tkach
dan,that is your broom in your shop!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Nice pink broom, you wear a dress when you sweep that garage?
No I wear an easter bunny outfit !
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I think the pink broom is brilliant !

Who would think of breaking in and stealing anything from a man's garage that has a pink broom.

A thief may not be scared off by a baseball bat or knife....but a pink broom ? Get the f*k out..now !!!!!

LOL.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Someone mentioned condensation earlier, and I came across this article that mentions it. Not sure of the validity of all that is said, but it's interesting that it mentions running cold lake water through the exhaust versus water that is first warmed by the engine.

http://www.perfprotech.com/blog/unca...d-and-checking

That being said, I don't think I want to put my engine through 15 minutes of idling like the testing procedure recommends. It does mention getting the operating temp to 160*, so maybe a hotter T-stat would help borderline cases of reversion / condensation. Anyway, interesting reading on a rainy Wed night.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not ruffled ,and don't mean to get you going ............I just think you are overthinking the alleged reversion.If you started pulling exhaust off various boat motors,i think you may find a small bit of water laying where you would rather it not be ....
Originally Posted by Budman II
Dang Motor, wasn't my intent to ruffle any feathers. Just trying to not make any major mistakes like I did with my previous motor. Don't want to be doing this a THIRD time - I don't think OSO or my own sanity could handle another one of these builds. And yes, I am scared to run it in the boat if I'm going to revert water and ruin a set of $2000 heads. I'm sorry if I'm driving some of you guys crazy, but if someone else learns from some of the problems I have had to deal with on this build, then that's what OSO's all about. That being said, I've learned a lot doing this build - I put this thing together from start to finish, and I don't do this for a living. Hopefully some of the rest of us will benefit too. I have to say that I really appreciate the time a lot of you have spent answering questions and offering ideas, and I try to do the same for others who are asking questions on here when I know the answer.

I do agree with you that with this cam I should just be able to bolt the headers on and go. Don't know why that's not the case, but I'm going to figure it out. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
No I wear an easter bunny outfit !
I think MT has been fooling us all along - that really IS his pink broom, and that's MT in the avitar posting on OSO!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I think the slip joint sucks. Literally.

These are not the standard Lightning headers most are used to.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by motor
I'm not ruffled ,and don't mean to get you going ............I just think you are overthinking the alleged reversion.If you started pulling exhaust off various boat motors,i think you may find a small bit of water laying where you would rather it not be ....
You know, you are probably dead on with what you are saying about a lot of motors having some water getting back in. Friend of mine has nearly the same setup on his boat - Lightnings with the separated collectors and HP500 cam - yes, more aggressive than mine, and he has been running his for years. He was curious if he is getting any water in his as well, and was even talking about snaking a tube in there to see if there is any water sitting in there. (you are probably thinking OMG - Budman's rubbing off on him! Just what we need, another epic thread about Lightnings with tubes being shoved down them. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.