Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine won't get boat on plane - ignition issue? >

Engine won't get boat on plane - ignition issue?

Notices

Engine won't get boat on plane - ignition issue?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
I also am using the 24* module with 10* initial and a total of 34 with my 509.....idle is OK.....I have a 22* module as a spare that I can use if I have to buy gas on the water. I use 93 with my 10.2-1 C/R.....I am using a mighty demon 850 and it took me a while to get the idle right. I had to make sure the throttle blades were not open to far at idle and bypassing the idle circuit. I mounted an AEM air/fuel gauge and it really helped getting the idle right..... Here is a quick vid o my idle before tuning and it was very rich a 11.5-1....... It is now around 13.5-14.0 at idle and has a nice, snappy bark now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0for...e_gdata_player
My idle started off at around 11 during the dyno session. He enlarged the idle air bleed slightly to address this, and it did take it to around 14 at idle. Cleaned up my black transom disease, but I think we may have leaned it out a little too much. Had to take the idle screws out about 2 1/2 turns to get it to go into gear without stumbling all over itself.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

34* is 34* under load or not . Play hell setting timing whilst running down the lake .
Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
34* is 34* under load or not . Play hell setting timing whilst running down the lake .
Cue up image of Budman screaming down the lake in the boat with my legs hanging out from under the hatch while setting my timing.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Play hell setting timing whilst running down the lake .
You first.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SB
You first.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
My idle started off at around 11 during the dyno session. He enlarged the idle air bleed slightly to address this, and it did take it to around 14 at idle. Cleaned up my black transom disease, but I think we may have leaned it out a little too much. Had to take the idle screws out about 2 1/2 turns to get it to go into gear without stumbling all over itself.
Yes, dyno operators forget that a boat has to get shifted into gear and have a pretty good load on them at idle speed. This isnt a manual tranny car or a car with a big stall converter. Sometimes you need that fat idle to keep it running. This is a reason you hear them big blower engines surging up and down. Most guys running these big blower carb engines, are also running big props. Shifting an engine into gear with a pair of 18x38P 6 blade props hooked to it, can really lug it down. Its not like shifting a engine hooked to a pair of 21p 3 blades. It takes very little air/fuel to idle an engine neutral, but under load turning a big prop, the demand can be much greater.

. As far as setting the timing, load/throttle position is irrelevant in your case. Setting it in neutral is fine.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Cue up image of Budman screaming down the lake in the boat with my legs hanging out from under the hatch while setting my timing.
You could play it safer by sitting in a bucket of water, hold ignition wire #1 - at the terminal on distributor of course- and just point a finger from your other hand at the balancer.

If you need a brighter light just grab a buddies Series 7 MSD box.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SB
You could play it safer by sitting in a bucket of water, hold ignition wire #1 - at the terminal on distributor of course- and just point a finger from your other hand at the balancer.

If you need a brighter light just grab a buddies Series 7 MSD box.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's technical jargon for schmeg and schmootz.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know F#*k all about carburetors but a local legend drills a tiny hole in the round blade to get some air in without having to open them passed the idle circuit

Thanks to a rusty MSD I haven't run it long enough to test this but after 50 years building carbs who am I to question him! (holley 850)

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
I also am using the 24* module with 10* initial and a total of 34 with my 509.....idle is OK.....I have a 22* module as a spare that I can use if I have to buy gas on the water. I use 93 with my 10.2-1 C/R.....I am using a mighty demon 850 and it took me a while to get the idle right. I had to make sure the throttle blades were not open to far at idle and bypassing the idle circuit. I mounted an AEM air/fuel gauge and it really helped getting the idle right..... Here is a quick vid o my idle before tuning and it was very rich a 11.5-1....... It is now around 13.5-14.0 at idle and has a nice, snappy bark now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0for...e_gdata_player

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.