Whats TO HOT FOR OIL TEMP >

Whats TO HOT FOR OIL TEMP

Notices

Whats TO HOT FOR OIL TEMP

Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I have mercury oil thermostats. I see about 180 cruising and 210* at WOT. Running a 10 quart pan, with plate style oil coolers. Ive tested the merc oil stat element in a pot of water with a thermometer. At approx 180, the element is starting to open, by 200ish, it was fully open.

I see alot of stuff on the net claiming that certain race teams and oil brands talk about 300* oil temps. Keep in mind, these guys running the oil temp that high, are keeping it in for 1 race. My oil stays in my engines for 10-15 hours, and my bearings stay in much longer than that. i dont plan to tear my engines down every other boating weekend. So what those guys get away with doesnt really relate to my boat engines. 200 degree oil flows almost like water. 300 degrees, its gettin pretty thin.

I'd like to see how long a semi truck, pickup truck, or even daily driver would hold up to 300 degree oil sump temps regularly. Most vehicles are designed to have oil temp relative to engine coolant temp, (190-210*). I personally would never want my oil anywhere near 300* sump temp. Localized temps can be much higher.
Where is the thermostat? got any pix you can show?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by greger518
Yeah i have the same question I do not run a thermostate at all , my engine sees 145 when im running it hard and then istantly cools off but the oil stays warm, Should i try to lower my oil temps or does it need to get to 225-235 to burn off condinsations in motor.
2 things I was told about oil temp, 1. don't run it hard untill you at least see 140 for oil temp, and 2. you want your oil temp to at least get to 190 to burn off contaminants and condensation. According to the chart it is saying you want to at least get to 175 for oil temp to burn off contaminants and condensation.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

OK So is the 225-235 that we are running to hot? i get so many different opinions im not sure whats correct. when im running the boat when i see the temp get this hot i get nervous and i wont run over 45 mph or i slow down to an idle and let everything cool off. If it is to hot whats my next step to cool it down, already have an oversized oil cooler, Is my problem the cooler not getting enough water, with my intercooler and extra hoses robbing water with a stock water pump, should i try a larger one ?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Engineers at mercury aren't dummies. There's a reason they specd the oil stats to open around the 210 range. I believe on the newer merc racing engines the alarm will sound if the oil temp reaches like 220 or 230.

Bottom line is oil breaks down with heat. Synthetics hold up better but still can breakdown.

I've never hurt an engine from running the oil on the cooler side of the scale. 212 is boiling for water. However, put a pot of water on the stove at 175 degrees, and you'll see steam vapors. Point is the 212 number isn't crucial . Most engine oils are designed around a operating temp of 200 degrees.

I'm not gonna get into the debate on oil shearing , oil brand, base stocks, blah blah blah. After several hundred hours the proof is in the pudding. If mercury or any other manufacturer wanted high oil temp, they would design it to have high oil temp , but they dont. I don't hold my engine wide open for a few seconds and let off like a sissy. I wanna be able to hold my ****t on the dash and watch the oil temp hold steady. That's where a good oil stat unit and large cooler come in. But even they can't overcome a poor oiling setup, extreme valve spring surge, or lean fuel system.

As far as the 502mpi seeing 235 deg with 520hp and stock cooler ,.....I would install a larger cooler rather than remove the water stat.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Registered

Engineers at mercury aren't dummies. There's a reason they specd the oil stats to open around the 210 range. I believe on the newer merc racing engines the alarm will sound if the oil temp reaches like 220 or 230.

Bottom line is oil breaks down with heat. Synthetics hold up better but still can breakdown.

I've never hurt an engine from running the oil on the cooler side of the scale. 212 is boiling for water. However, put a pot of water on the stove at 175 degrees, and you'll see steam vapors. Point is the 212 number isn't crucial . Most engine oils are designed around a operating temp of 200 degrees.

I'm not gonna get into the debate on oil shearing , oil brand, base stocks, blah blah blah. After several hundred hours the proof is in the pudding. If mercury or any other manufacturer wanted high oil temp, they would design it to have high oil temp , but they dont. I don't hold my engine wide open for a few seconds and let off like a sissy. I wanna be able to hold my ****t on the dash and watch the oil temp hold steady. That's where a good oil stat unit and large cooler come in. But even they can't overcome a poor oiling setup, extreme valve spring surge, or lean fuel system.

As far as the 502mpi seeing 235 deg with 520hp and stock cooler ,.....I would install a larger cooler rather than remove the water stat.
Yea I would agree with installing a larger cooler. You run a crossover with a bypass with tstat don't you? I have been having a tough time working out water pressure. It sees none ever unless I restrict the water flow through the bypass, that was another reason I was going to go away from the bypass and tstat. By doing that it would take care of 2 things at once lol.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
Where is the thermostat? got any pix you can show?
Pete mine is in the remote filter
Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
Yea I would agree with installing a larger cooler. You run a crossover with a bypass with tstat don't you? I have been having a tough time working out water pressure. It sees none ever unless I restrict the water flow through the bypass, that was another reason I was going to go away from the bypass and tstat. By doing that it would take care of 2 things at once lol.
I run no water stat , no bypass . However I am carbed. Imo most aftermarket bypasses are simply too small. When the stat is closed, the only place for the water to exit is thru a little single hose feeding the exhaust.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

I run no water stat , no bypass . However I am carbed. Imo most aftermarket bypasses are simply too small. When the stat is closed, the only place for the water to exit is thru a little single hose feeding the exhaust.
I have the one with a 1" bypass hose which is much larger than stock, it honestly flows an absolute ton of water through the exhaust lol. Registering no water pressure on gauge (water line is same place yours is, port side drain on block) with this set up. I can pinch down the bypass hose and get it to register, have to pinch it down a good bit. I think I am going to just block off the bypass and remove the thermostat for now untill I get a bigger oil cooler. Atleast that will get my oil temps down some so I have more head room with temps there
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Where is mine? is it that thing above the oil cooler?[ATTACH=CONFIG]525126[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Whats TO HOT FOR OIL TEMP-motor4.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

I just spoke with the Rd Guy at Cenpeco Racing oil, Told him my application and what my oil temp was getting up to, 230-235 when running wide open, He told me that he would not be worried at all, He said heat will hurt the life span of the oil but not so fast that i have anything to worry about. He told me he has many customers that run cars and dragsters up around 300 degree oil temps, dirt cars at 50+ plus laps at 290 -300 degree oil temps and the oil holds up. Mild thunder are you running a blower or pro charger any kind of forced air. Usually these applications cause alot more heat than naturally aspirated engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.