Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Notices

Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Also, I think I recall reading that turn downs require a small air hole to be drilled above the waterline to prevent siphoning or the "drinking straw" effect. Has anyone found this to be the case?
Yes I did it on both systems that I used on the Cigarette. Seemed to work just fine as I never saw any reversion
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KSFLYER1
haha, I did not say they were sexy, but you will NOT get a noise ticket!
Im in complete agreement.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RMP, didn't you experiment with a set of turndowns that actually had a switchable tip with a butterfly incorporated into them? Seems like I recall seeing a picture of them on OSO. What was the issue with those? Did they help at all?

I have a set of the full time Gil muffled tips on mine, and while they definitely knock the edge off the sound I would have with open headers, you still get a resonant droning right around 12-1500 RPM that is kind of annoying. Don't get me wrong, I love the throaty sound of my big block, and it's fun to light it off and see everyone jump a little, but there are times that it would be nice to knock it down some. The turn downs look interesting. Might have to experiment with a set of "redneck engineered" models before spending the big bucks on some "purty" ones.
I did fab a set of switchable mufflers with turndowns (see pictures). The only trouble with them was that you could never get the butterflies completely closed, which resulted in exhaust "noise", which defeated the whole concept. In my humble opinion, the ONLY way to comply with noise restrictions is to plumb the exhaust under water and between the drives as I did. It may not be the most attractive way to quiet the boat, but it is the most affective for the $$$. Note: in the 1st picture you will see a set of "caps" that were fab'd to eliminate any leakage past the butterfly's. The only trouble was you had to lean over the transom while in the water to remove or install when you were on the water, major PIA. Also I don't think you would want to operate the boat at any RPM over 3000.
Attached Thumbnails Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options-1997-chevrolet-1t-006.jpg   Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options-1997-chevrolet-1t-031.jpg  

Last edited by RMPRam; 07-08-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the turn downs or the mufflers? Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do...
the turn downs.you gotta do what you gotta do.one day I will probley be faced with that delimma.I don't think the mufflers will work.so I probley will have to do turn downs.not forward to that
Old 07-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I've ran the Teague tips in the past and I can't imagine getting a noise ticket with them closed. I felt like they were just a few db's louder than a switchable diverter through the prop. My engine, however, was a 502 mag. I run full time Borlas now and while its quieter at WOT, the Teague tips were far quieter closed - the drawback being that they should be opened above 3500 RPMs. The Teague tips have been around a long time and are still a viable product. The worst part is dealing with TCM's sales guys.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I've ran the Teague tips in the past and I can't imagine getting a noise ticket with them closed. I felt like they were just a few db's louder than a switchable diverter through the prop. My engine, however, was a 502 mag. I run full time Borlas now and while its quieter at WOT, the Teague tips were far quieter closed - the drawback being that they should be opened above 3500 RPMs. The Teague tips have been around a long time and are still a viable product. The worst part is dealing with TCM's sales guys.
Friend of mine is running these on his 502 - was supercharged for a while, not HP500 clone N/A with Lightnings. They definitely knock the edge off, but I don't think they were as quiet as my 454 was with the Silent Choice running thru-prop. They are a nice option though. He has had some issues with his - had the pivot shaft break on one and had to have a new shaft fabricated - Teague wanted ridiculous money for one. I think he has also had a few solenoid issues. I would consider them, but I have too many alignment issues with my boat formerly having a small block in it.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by rich allen
Just went through this last weekend.. Hopped up 468ci with 4" through transom pipes. Silent choice was removed for reversion purposes.
I wanted option of loud or quiet, and wasn't sure about spending $$$ for another switchable type. I ended up buying a set of Gibsons, clamp on style. Figured I could remove them as needed. Best money spent this year.
They still sound throaty, not too quiet, and actually are pleasing to hear. They eliminate the loud crackling decibals, and let you actually talk to your passengers while under way. I see no need to remove them right now.
They also have transom mounted, which eliminate your tailpipe altogether. I opted for the clamp ons, for purposes already stated. One thing though, they do not mount onto angle tip tailpipes. They need to be square. I ended up having to cut my tips square for them to mount up. No regrets so far.
I had short square tips to begin with so the Gibsons don't stick out that far, and they are under the swim platform. They have a nice sound and I don't get any grief from the noise police. I pushing about 700hp and I haven't noticed any speed difference with them on or off. I wouldn't even think of using turn downs with my cam and Lightning headers.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Registered

I run the Teague switchable tips,, but only on twin 454 mag MPI's with EMI off shores,, pretty quiet when on. When starting under my dock you can talk and listen to tunes... With them off no freaking way.. Just replaced 1 solenoid after 4 years,,, about a hundun...
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Anyone have experience with these GGB muffler inserts? I like the fact they can hold up to dry exhaust (planning on extending my risers this winter). I also feel confident I can make a temporary perforated plate to bolt in to pass the noise test to get out of the ticket only. My main question is how much do they reduce sound at idle and wot without mods?

http://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/insert/i...ong-sport-pair
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Anyone have experience with these GGB muffler inserts? I like the fact they can hold up to dry exhaust (planning on extending my risers this winter). I also feel confident I can make a temporary perforated plate to bolt in to pass the noise test to get out of the ticket only. My main question is how much do they reduce sound at idle and wot without mods?

http://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/insert/i...ong-sport-pair
Yep, a bud that runs on the St. Croix river with his31 Scarab (twin 500hp's) has them on his boat. Before you couldn't even talk due to being so loud at the dock or WOT. He put those exact same ones in (well he cut one off since his pipes are short) his tips and WOW! what a differance!!!! You can talk around the dock and is blistering loud at WOT also.

He said the did not notice any performance drop or anything. Only thing different was the volume level went way down No harassment from WP yet. There on my list to add to my boat now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.