Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Notices

Just got a noise ticket tonight - need options

Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I second Teague on his statement!
I have these tips on my Cat, twin stock 502's. I have passed Wi and barely sqeeuk by MN--yes they are lower @ 84db!
However there is only one thing that I feel helps me get by, I still have the y-pipes in with the elbow splits. This allows some exhaust to go both in the y-pipe as well out the tips.
Once when 2 of the internals flappers on my ST-450's were gone, I did not know it, I was stopped and tested by MN and did not pass.
Wi. tested me and I barely made 83 that day. 2 weeks later MN tested me and I was surprised he left the meter on as long as he did and it finely stopped @ 84. But that took over 10 minutes to get down there.
I too really want the turn downs, but my exhaust is on top of my swim platform and I am not wanting the eyesore of big pipes across it
Would love to find someone to custom make me a set for the middle two to exit one pipe

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Starting to believe everyone saying a turndown's will be needed to make me legal. But snaking them around my steering won't be simple as just sliding them on. Called Teague today and he doubt's the ST-450 will reduce it enough. He says a full time mufflers would be needed - not interested in this option.

Still wonder about the CPPerformance option??? Anybody believe these can get the job done?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First night out with the GGB mufflers. They probably knocked out 75% of the sound. Which to me is painful as hell. I am supposed to meet with the DNR soon so I will update the results later. I can tell you one thing I will be installing silent choice over winter. I could never live with it this way all the time.the good thing is they are easily removable or to modify. Quiet sucks!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
First night out with the GGB mufflers. They probably knocked out 75% of the sound. Which to me is painful as hell. I am supposed to meet with the DNR soon so I will update the results later. I can tell you one thing I will be installing silent choice over winter. I could never live with it this way all the time.the good thing is they are easily removable or to modify. Quiet sucks!
I agree that having the ability to switch between quiet and loud is really nice. Did you notice any decrease in performance with the GGB's? How effective are they in knocking down the droning resonance that occurs around 12-1500 RPM's? That is the point where it gets most annoying on my boat - when I'm just coming off plane and running along at a fast idle. Gives me a headache! Otherwise I am completely fine with it being loud.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
I agree that having the ability to switch between quiet and loud is really nice. Did you notice any decrease in performance with the GGB's? How effective are they in knocking down the droning resonance that occurs around 12-1500 RPM's? That is the point where it gets most annoying on my boat - when I'm just coming off plane and running along at a fast idle. Gives me a headache! Otherwise I am completely fine with it being loud.
No decrease in performance at all. Resonance nope...none.

After posting this last night I idled right past a cop in the river and blew by one in the harbor at 11pm last night. Neither gave me a second look. That was the only refreshing part to me.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

The way the tests are done is a gamble at best. I rec'd a noise ticket in Grand Haven last year at 91 db. I installed turn downs and was retested to beat the ticket. My blower noise was louder than the exhaust and he still tested me at 89 db.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by michigan troll
The way the tests are done is a gamble at best. I rec'd a noise ticket in Grand Haven last year at 91 db. I installed turn downs and was retested to beat the ticket. My blower noise was louder than the exhaust and he still tested me at 89 db.
Read the existing statute they cited you for to see exactly what noise they ticketed you on. I'd hazard to guess they could cite for exhaust but not mechanical noise. That would be my angle at it.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Registered

I got retested today. 87.7 DBA at idle. The GGB mufflers effectively knocked 7.3 DBA with my setup. As much as i'm not a fan of the noise reduction I didn't have to give the DNR my money now or in the future. One less issue.