Power Steering issues

Notices

Power Steering issues

Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering issues

Hey guys,

I may be dumb, but I am having an issue finding my answer in search function. So, I will ask it here I have a 2000 Nordic Heat with a 500EFI and the Bravo is running a single ram IMCO add on setup. I have noticed this year thus far that my steering is definitely not what it used to be. She used to have rock hard steering, minute adjustments at speed or around the dock were all that was needed to get her where I want her. Now she is starting to feel like my old Pachanga with straight cable steer. I turn, it takes a second and she goes. Fluid level is good in the PS reservoir, not seeing a secondary res for the hydraulic ram. Is it time for a new cable maybe? or could the hydraulic ram be bleeding off pressure somewhere? There are no visible leaks anywhere on the system. Point me where I need to go. I am about to retire from the military and need to keep my hobby up and running or I may go crazy(er) Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure theres no play in the drive by trying to rock it back and forth while its on the trailer....it should be solid.

If its solid then start checking the cable side of things.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Registered

Literally just checked that. It is solid, I can pull away from the ram and the ram extends, but I cannot compress the ram, which I am going to say is a good thing. I am assuming we are checking the gimbal here correct? is there any other visual checks to be made on the internal portion behind the engine?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure if that checks the gimbal or not, so ill let someone else hopefully come in and say yay or nay there...but it does check to make sure theres no air in the hydraulic system creating play
Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have a weep hole that could be causing you to lose pressure? If so, try a rebuild kit. I jsut had to do this on 8 cylinders.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

If you disconnected the hoses anywhere during your work, Did you bleed the system? Air or water in hydraulics is a no win.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Have not disconnected anything steering wise. I will look for a weep hole. Haven't noticed any leakage, but did see the rubber hoses are starting to show external signs of wear. May need to replace those as well. Bill, where did you get the rebuild kits? This is a 14 year old boat, not surprising things may need "freshening".
Old 07-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The system still works based on the cable helm and stock rack steering system. Have somebody turn the wheel and see if there is movement at the tller arm.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

add on steering doesnt use the tiller arm. The power steering that powered the rack now runs the outside hydraulic ram. play in the helm or cables will affect steering but not the tiller arm .
Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I took one of each type of cylinder down to my local boat shop and had them match up parts because the Teleflex cylinders I had were made in '82. It's pretty much just an O-ring kit, but there are a couple of odd pieces that were in mine that we had to "appropriate" from kits belonging to different manufacturers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.