Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need part # for seal on water pump. >

Need part # for seal on water pump.

Notices

Need part # for seal on water pump.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need part # for seal on water pump.

I have mechanical fuel pumps that run off my water pumps. The seal behind the pulley has failed allowing all of the lube to leak out of the pump. I'm told I can rebuild it by pulling the pulley and pressing in a new seal. I hope this is the case. $500-700 for a new assembly doesn't appeal to me right now.

Anyone have a clue what a part number for the seal would be? Are there lots of different options depending on which one I have? Do I just need to remove the old one and use it to size up the replacement seal?

Buck
Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Looks like you would need part #19
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...SEA+WATER+PUMP
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very easy job to rebuild pump ..you actually need 3 seals 1 in the front 2 in the back take care to notice the dir the seals are in the rear..
as i remember brgs are #6204 $2.50 each from mc master carr .seals i always buy from merc dont think u can get the stainless seals anywhere else .. if you smell gas in the oil it does not mean your pump is bad >>they all do it its very common
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Gentlemen, these were all very helpful replies. Thank you.

I got a little gun shy when I saw what the problem was and realized how much a new assembly cost. Glad to know these things are serviceable.

My goal right now is to pull the seals and see if a local parts store has some that will match up to get me by. If not, then I guess I'm down another weekend until I order the parts in from Merc.

Borgie, if things don't work out on my end locally I may take you up on that. Thank you for the offer.

Smokin Gun, hopefully I don't shoot myself in the foot for buying none Merc parts if I can find them. I'm kind of in a get by mode right now.

Griff, thanks for the link. Hoping that will help me cross reference the seals at a local parts store. Sometimes those numbers have some sort of size in them that help cross them over.

Buck