Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what is killing my fuel pumps? >

what is killing my fuel pumps?

Notices

what is killing my fuel pumps?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mercury sea pumps with mechanical pump mounting provision could have been an option.

Those holley electric pumps are pretty notorious for not lasting long either . I'd be sure to wire them to a relay and not just the purple ign wire also.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Registered

Also be careful with those pumps. Although they "claim" they flow "110gph" that is at 14psi. At 7 psi regulated down, prob lucky if they move 50gph of fuel.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Fwiw - My Holley Red pump was mounted about 14" above the tank and could only muster 3psi. Electric pump really hate to lift fuel.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It's physics...unless the 'electric pump' has a motor that works a diaphragm.

BTW: I used to eat Holley electric pumps for lunch back when they where the only game in town. A little marvel mystery or 2 stroke oil mixed in the gas finally took care of those.

Normal Electric pumps need a head of fuel always or certain pump death will follow. That's just the way they are.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Also be careful with those pumps. Although they "claim" they flow "110gph" that is at 14psi. At 7 psi regulated down, prob lucky if they move 50gph of fuel.
Other way around.

Rated flow is usually 0 pressure. They refer to this as 'Free Flow.'

As pressure goes up, flow will go down.

Good pumps will have information on what they flow at certain pressures and voltages.

Last edited by SB; 09-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Holley pumps still do not like to lift the fuel very far. Most pumps must be below the fuel level in the tank, not the filter. Mallory pumps are designed to lift fuel 18", because in a boat you don't want the electric fuel pump in the bilge. Don't take me wrong the Holley's are good pumps, they just don't like to lift the fuel.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have a filter before the pump or straight to the tank?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Other way around.

Rated flow is usually 0 pressure. They refer to this as 'Free Flow.'

As pressure goes up, flow will go down.

Good pumps will have information on what they flow at certain pressures and voltages.

]
Correct. At 14psi it would flow less. Looking back I worded that incorrectly. But the end result is the same. IMO, that holley Blue pump is borderline capable of feeding a good running big block marine engine making north of 500HP. People look at the free flow GPH and think thats what counts, but it really doesnt matter. What matters is how much fuel can it provide in the application it will be used in. exactly why lots of pumps state things like

"Good for 900HP EFI, or 1300 Carbureted". Same pump, but will move more fuel at the lower pressure in the carb application, therefore support more HP, like you said.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your wallet can handle it go with Weldon! They are the best! From my experience the Holley black is a fine pump can handle a little dirt. Mallory pump will handle no dirt at all and the relief valve will hang up in it. The gearator designee will not lift fuel without a prime on a Mallory pump and a little dirt it will lock up.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one thing I'm good at. First off take the Carter's off and throw in the trash. Get you a couple of the aeromotive ss fuel pumps. Now the most important thing is they have to be below the tank or sump!, they can pull but don't like too. The ss pump will stand up to being deadheaded but I would highly recommend a bypass system. You can get a deal from keith eckert if you have to and split your fuel fill hose but I'd prefer a -8 bung welded on tank or they do make a bolt through with neoprene gaskets. Aeromotive would be my first choice but quick fuel makes some nice stuff from what I've seen lately. Holley is ok for stock but I don't use period. Some people build awesome stuff and then go to oreillys and buy the stupidest **** off the shelf for fuel. I have 2 1100 horsepower blown engines and use aeromotive stuff that was designed for pro stocks up to 3000 horsepower. Why??? Spend an extra 5-6 hundred and I don't run out of fuel or worry about failing and detonate.. Why aeromotive? Steve is a friend from when I grew up in Kansas (Merriam) where he started. Millions in r and d for a good product and it's only fuel, Holley,carter, other ps besides manga fuel have their hands in everything but tires!!! Also Weldon makes good stuff" sorry I forgot about that...

Last edited by Eliminatorshane; 09-10-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Add more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.