Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why do larger roots blowers use 2 carbs? >

Why do larger roots blowers use 2 carbs?

Notices

Why do larger roots blowers use 2 carbs?

Old 07-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m no expert, but I don’t think you can really over size carbs on a blower set up (within reason). There’s a nice set up on that FB thing.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 8-71 are on 525sc, same set up I got, and MT has, interesting HP differences.

So to conclude I could run them but it's still be restrictive and hurt HP, would you recommend 800's

Last edited by Mohavvalley; 07-19-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohavvalley
Those 8-71 are on 525sc, same set up I got, and MT has interesting in HP differences.

So to conclude I could run them but it's still be restrictive and hurt HP, would you recommend 800's
I'm just saying you could run it with a single, but you would be leaving a lot of HP on the table. These still push a heavy 34' boat 90mph. It's more than enough for the owner.
I'd recommend as much as you pocket can afford and if you are going to use all of the power. I'd believe the builder has ran the boat harder than the owner.

MT has better heads and camshafts. These have real mild HR cams and stock GM heads. MT has a great build and has been great at documenting it for others to copy.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick answer to OP's question. They have 2 carbs cuz they really suck...
Old 12-16-2023, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
when talking roots style blowers you need to understand how they work and what they are designed to do (as was said above they are air movers). the blower comes from the old detroit V series diesels. those motors are two stroke. the only reason for the blower was to move air into the cylinders as the two stroke setup had no intake vacuum in the intake and without the blower it wont move enough air on its own to even start. later with the V92 series they added a turbo to build boost and the last version had a bypass so the boosted air would bypass the blower as it then became a restriction. they then got adapted for hot rod use and other than helix rotors are basically the same. the air moves around the outside of the case and meets back at the middle so they are not really compressing any air, just moving way more than the motor needs so it makes boost. as such they were never designed to have fuel stuffed in there at the same time as the air so it does not control it well, again as was stated above. the more evenly you can distribute the fuel the less the blower screws up that delivery. the issue of boost is one of the things that always bothers me when people say " I want to run 10 psi" or whatever. boost is a reference only. a motor with small intake ports will make lots of boost and no power while a motor with big ports and low boost will make lots of power with the same blower and pulley setup. this is why it is so important to build the whole system together as a opposed to just throwing a blower on in hopes of making big power. just my two cents tho.
Was listening to the Darin Morgan podcasts. He's a guest on a few so far. Really great condensed wisdom.

One thing he mentioned, was that you don't need bigger CCs intake ports with a blower. The air is compressed, and the ports react very similar to NA.

Small vs Large ports don't dictate flow, the quality of the port design is key. A poor flowing turbulent large port will just be worse when you compress the A/F charge. Sure, you'll ram more through, but all the physics apply to lazy and low velocity large int ports.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (12-16-2023)