motor oils prefered on performance boats >

motor oils prefered on performance boats

Notices

motor oils prefered on performance boats

Old 10-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor oils prefered on performance boats

looking to see what people are using for there choice of motor oil and weights for there standard wet sump hp 500 style motors flat tappet and roller motors
Ive seen good results with brad pen, Valvoline vr-1 and Kendal. just like to hear the goods and bads. with there motor oil experience.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the search, more threads than you even want to read on this subject......I'll play though, mobil 1 V Twin 20W - 50.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You know that stuff at the dollar store with the $1.25 sticker.. DONT use that,,,,

Old 10-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Don`t tell any Prius owners but this this is how we roll

Old 10-25-2014, 09:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ I see 15w-50 syn blend Mystik. I posted this before as I have been buying 2 gallon jugs for 25 bucks and what a deal for this motor oil. I am going on my 3rd year using in many boat apps. This oil is made by Citgo and really is somewhat a no name to use in the boat world. Anyways the deal is use it, it is one tough freakin oil.

I have a customer who lost an impeller but decided to keep running his boat, The temp gauge pegged but he wanted to make it back to the ramp a couple of miles away (his words).

Well I get the boat in and go over all the info from the owner and then look at the motor. It looked like it was in a fire plus had fire ext all over the place. The engine died out on the water before he could make it back and was towed in. But when the engine died the owner had to use a fire ext. because he thought it was on fire from smoking really bad.

After looking things over I would say the motor is toast at that timeframe. The starter even looks like it was on fire but some of that was due to the wiring harness was completely melted and burned in 2 and I say completely. I had to replace so many parts on this app from the serve overheat except the block, heads, intake and carb.

Anyways to make a long story short the V8 350 Volvo lived internally on the engine side as I have no idea how. I think the engine had to be at the point if the wiring harness did not melt / burned in 2 to shut the motor down, who knows if the motor would have lived. So I sent an oil sample off to get tested that was used in the extreme overheat.

The oil sample results came back better than I would have ever of thought. The short list of it was, wear metals a tad high, oxidation a tad high, viscosity not bad and so on. I even cut open the oil filter and it for 4 sure got hot but really no wear metals in between the pleats.

Anyways for the money I don't think you can beat this oil. 25 bucks for 2 gallon jugs. That's just a tad over 3 bucks per qt. The deal of the day and I think worth trying.

Last edited by BUP; 10-25-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal purple 20w-50
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured this post would get some attention! in the automotive field I have used every oil under the sun I have always been curious if there is something that really stands out in a
marine environment with added constant heat moisture and stress. ive always looked at and judged oil after I have ran a motor drained oil at desired intervals and inspected the expired oil. some don't make it and some do. with limited marine performance knowledge im just looking for a little knowledge backed with facts on the supject.

Thanks everyone
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Penzoil 25-50 here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.