Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed?  Top speed less than expected. >

Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed? Top speed less than expected.

Notices

Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed? Top speed less than expected.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Wouldn't the "blade tip speed" be similar for a 1.36 drive with an engine turning 5200 rpm as a 1.50 drive with an engine turning 5700 rpm? Plenty of engines out there turning that rpm with 1.50 ratios.
Not necessarily because other factors come into play. First you would not be running the same prop between those two combinations.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the general rule of thumb is that you would step up 2 inches of prop pitch going from a 1.36 to a 1.5, and I pretty much verified that with my testing a few years ago.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

I'm thinking more and more that I have a fuel delivery or less likely an ignition issue keeping me from realizing the full potential of this engine. Now that I think about it, I do recall hearing a subtle, dull pop on occasion - sounded like it was coming from the exhaust, but it was so hard to pick up I figured I was being neurotic again and hearing things. Going to borrow my kid's GoPro and aim it at the pressure gauge. I can have someone monitor it remotely with my smart phone. That should be a little easier than raising the hatch and sticking my noggin under there.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SB, what filters did you end up running. Did you pull inserts out......
Old 11-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Is there a anti siphon fitting on the fuel pick up? If so remove it and put a shut off valve in ..
Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by 01scarab29
Hey SB, what filters did you end up running. Did you pull inserts out......
Edited: I rambled a little too much. LOL.

The exhaust inserts are bolt in screw type. They bolt in - really easy to take out.

We have one of the stiffest Db's laws in the country. I leave them in until it's the season the cops are off the lake and we can go have fun speed wize.

negative on the filter. The boat just got an Alpha SS to hang on the back, so I will probably get too changing Flame Arrestors as the SS will probably get me back into the clawing for every mph mode again.

Until that time (Ie in public and the forums), it's just a 38mph turd with a 350 rocket motor, Harley carb, RV cam, with a Corvette tune in it....boat.

Last edited by SB; 11-01-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
I'm thinking more and more that I have a fuel delivery or less likely an ignition issue keeping me from realizing the full potential of this engine. Now that I think about it, I do recall hearing a subtle, dull pop on occasion - sounded like it was coming from the exhaust, but it was so hard to pick up I figured I was being neurotic again and hearing things. Going to borrow my kid's GoPro and aim it at the pressure gauge. I can have someone monitor it remotely with my smart phone. That should be a little easier than raising the hatch and sticking my noggin under there.
Budman, I'm thinking of coming down and kicking you a couple times square in the nuts.

The info you gave us below is why:

Originally Posted by Budman II
In regards to the drive ratio / prop issue, I feel like I pretty much covered that one years ago with my 454. I swapped to a 1.5 drive with a 23 M+, and saw no difference in speed. I really don't think that's the problem here.

For comparison, my buddy is running the identical hull with an HP500 clone with Lightning headers, 800 Holley, Dart intake, etc. He is running a 1.5 Bravo 1 with a 25 Mirage Plus, and is seeing around 71 MPH. That is the range that I was expecting this combo to run in.

Last edited by SB; 11-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Budman, I'm thinking of coming down and kicking you a couple times square in the nuts.

The info you gave us below is why:
Um, why hath that offended thee?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
SB
Registered

I was trying to show I was saying that friendly...with the emoticans.

The answers to all your performance issues are in your buddies boat.

You can't get any better than that.

The answers are right there. You just got to find them.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

I figured I shouldn't take you literally - beside, I'm pretty good at kicking myself in the nuts.

The thing is, Tim (my buddy with the same Baja) is running the exact same Carter black fuel pump, carb, etc., as I am. Or at least he says he is - maybe he is lying to me and trying to sabotage me so I don't pass him up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.