Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed?  Top speed less than expected. >

Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed? Top speed less than expected.

Notices

Does prop slip increase or decrease with speed? Top speed less than expected.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Electric fuel pumps have super tight tolerances and doesn't take much to impede flow. How high is your pump mounted? Electric pumps HATE to lift fuel, so if your buddies fuel pump is mounted lower that may be the difference right there. Electrics like to be level or lower than the tank, and performance diminishes correlatively with the height that it's mounted at.

I had an Aeromotive A1000 that couldn't push enough fuel for my lawnmower after just a 1/2 summer of use.

Edit in: I have ESP and thus knew what you where gonna type. LOL.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Baja, it's pretty much mounted in the exact same place. It's a low on the inner stringer in front of the engine as I could get it.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Registered

That's strange - my browser is showing my answer to Baja Rooster as post #82, one post above his actual question. It's like I have ESP and I'm answering his question before he asks it. Of course, if I had that kind of brain power I would know what's wrong with this damn thing!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I had an Aeromotive A1000 that couldn't push enough fuel for my lawnmower after just a 1/2 summer of use.

Wow, now things are really getting weird in here. Time to drink a beer.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Electric fuel pumps have super tight tolerances and doesn't take much to impede flow. How high is your pump mounted? Electric pumps HATE to lift fuel, so if your buddies fuel pump is mounted lower that may be the difference right there. Electrics like to be level or lower than the tank, and performance diminishes correlatively with the height that it's mounted at.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Put your pump on your buddy's boat!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB

Wow, now things are really getting weird in here. Time to drink a beer.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Not that it matters much because these plugs saw idle time while putting the boat back on the trailer, but here are some pictures of the plugs. Looking at the last photo, the flash makes it look like there are aluminum specs on it, but I think it may just be reflections. They looked pretty normal to me under regular light.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Thinking about upgrading my fuel pickup while I'm in there messing with the fuel delivery system. I think the factory ones are 3/8", and most just have plastic tubes pressed onto a barbed fitting. I'm thinking about fabricating one similar to the one that Eddie did in the thread I have linked, but wondering if it is necessary to go all the way to #10. Would something a little smaller like #8 be large enough to support 600ish HP? Boat uses rubber hose from tank to inlet on fuel pump right now. Kind of surprised that is allowed by USCG, but I see this with most boats out there. Do I need some kind of screen or sock on the end of the pickup?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...er-pickup.html
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
rubber hose from tank to pump... is the pump collapsing the hose?
Good catch, but doubtful. I replaced all rubber line this spring with USCG approved line that is also supposed to be ethanol resistant. Also installed an inline filter before the pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.