Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes? >

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Notices

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

With Every Purchase Of Procomp Heads You Get A Free Can Of Cheese Whiz along with a free Ham Sammich '
Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the pro-comp heads and I had to have the guides honed, Valve job re-done, and the dart adjustable guide plates to correct the geometry issues...... I also had to remove a crap load of metal to port match the heads to my rectangle port intake...... I had the aluminum chips flying for a couple days getting it right! I also did a good pocket port and cleanup of all the ports while I had my porting tools out...... I think they flow pretty well and certainly better than stock iron heads....... But I don't think its worth it to spend the time and money to get them up to speed and my next set of heads will probably be AFR's... But they did push my 502'powered 26 ZX to 70 MPH in 95 degree heat running a little rich.... I would never throw any boost at these heads but a decent normal aspirated engine should be fine with them once properly setup. I know there is alot of bad stories out there concerning these heads but my experience has been pretty positive so far.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I would not have bought them, they were already on the 600's I bought, last summer I spent so much at Gellner making them right and perfect a few hundred more I could have bought heads, so they have been 100% brought up to par by a good name person. not buying heads after spending what I did on these.... new valves, seats, guides, keepers, retainers, valve job, on ly thing reused was springs since they checked out... EVERYTHING else has been redone.... Tom at GELLNER assured me they are fine now.... before not so much
All that money and you reused the springs? You get that tip from 315duramax?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
All that money and you reused the springs? You get that tip from 315duramax?

heads only had 2 hours on them before being redone, pressures were well within spec...I am not an idiot and Gellner isnt either..... springs will most likely get changed with bigger cams anyway, not concerned

Last edited by Full Force; 11-17-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Cobra100+
PRO-COMP heads.....Ran a few sets on drag car builds and they still dont last, Im willing to bet there will be a post next year on how the engines dont make as much HP as they should, keeps blowing head gaskets, cant get rocker geometry correct, etc..... but suit yourself its your money. Just my experience.
I have wjat I have for now, I dont have 30,000.00 in bank to just blow on engines with unlimited builds like some guys, sometimes things are what they are... sucks to be a blue collar ass buster, I pay cash as I go for what I can do, been doing it for years, I dont go into debt boating.

the heads are not "out of box" anymore at all.

Last edited by Full Force; 11-17-2014 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedfreak391 (10-01-2020)
Old 11-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
I am using the pro-comp heads and I had to have the guides honed, Valve job re-done, and the dart adjustable guide plates to correct the geometry issues...... I also had to remove a crap load of metal to port match the heads to my rectangle port intake...... I had the aluminum chips flying for a couple days getting it right! I also did a good pocket port and cleanup of all the ports while I had my porting tools out...... I think they flow pretty well and certainly better than stock iron heads....... But I don't think its worth it to spend the time and money to get them up to speed and my next set of heads will probably be AFR's... But they did push my 502'powered 26 ZX to 70 MPH in 95 degree heat running a little rich.... I would never throw any boost at these heads but a decent normal aspirated engine should be fine with them once properly setup. I know there is alot of bad stories out there concerning these heads but my experience has been pretty positive so far.
if I would have built the engines from the beginning I would have used AFR or Dart heads, these heads came on the engines, if I would have known I was gonna spend so much making them right from the beginning I would not have spent it on them and bought new, I told GELLNER to mkae them right, he did, gave me a bill, was expensive but at that point what am I to do? say ok pay the bill then go spend 5000.000 buying another set because guys on OSO say they suck, yes they suck but now they don't....

Its easy to sit here and say "just buy new" to some of these guys, but it's not that easy for some to throw money in the garbage can, the heads will be fine, if not, so be it... life goes on.

You obviously know how I feel, once you got them oh well...right?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wjat I have for now, I dont have 30,000.00 in bank to just blow on engines with unlimited builds like some guys, sometimes things are what they are... sucks to be a blue collar ass buster, I pay cash as I go for what I can do, been doing it for years, I dont go into debt boating.
Most of us don't. You gotta draw the line somewhere and top-end parts are probably a good place to do it.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Cole2534
Most of us don't. You gotta draw the line somewhere and top-end parts are probably a good place to do it.
I do the best I can, like I said, after spending lots on the heads I cant just ****can them and start over...the cams I will be running I can almost gaurantee needs new springs, Tom said if I keep cams I had the springs were fine, go over .600 then new, so I was not concerned about springs with low hours...
Old 11-17-2014, 01:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

because guys on OSO say they suck, yes they suck but now they don't....

Its easy to sit here and say "just buy new" to some of these guys, but it's not that easy for some to throw money in the garbage can, the heads will be fine, if not, so be it... life goes on.

You obviously know how I feel, once you got them oh well...right?
The point is, if anyone says they'll be fine, and you have a problem with it, they sink in a ship they really had no part of.

It's the way it goes.

Suks sinking in your own ship, let a lone, some dude from the internet's ship you had no $$$ part of.

Thus the answers.

And yah, it's always easier when someone else's $$$$. LOL.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SB
The point is, if anyone says they'll be fine, and you have a problem with it, they sink in a ship they really had no part of.

It's the way it goes.

Suks sinking in your own ship, let a lone, some dude from the internet's ship you had no $$$ part of.

Thus the answers.

And yah, it's always easier when someone else's $$$$. LOL.
I get it, totally... just spent the money and keeping what I spent it on for now, no choice... I gotta draw a line or I wont go boating, might have a fail, might not... good parts fail too.... chit happens...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.