Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes? >

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Notices

Dyno proven 675-700 HP 540CI recipes?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The procomp are junk out of the box. Get a good machine shop to redo them and then they are not bad at all. I have use a few sets with no problems yet but it's probably more of when they fall apart not if. But I have set under caution while bits and pieces of dart heads and dart block were picked up off the track. Just cause they are name brand don't mean they are not going to drop valve or what not.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You do realize that what you are saying about your heads is like saying "I had phil paint my boat, but its ok because I had Mitcher T buff it out.........."
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
You do realize that what you are saying about your heads is like saying "I had phil paint my boat, but its ok because I had Mitcher T buff it out.........."
No, not at all.... I know Pro Comps are not good OUT OF THE BOX, they came on engines I bought, so I made them RIGHT, I dont see the issue, many people have been just fine AFTER MAKING THEM RIGHT....

if someone would like to step up and buy me AFR or Dart heads feel free, if not I am using what I PAID TO MAKE RIGHT.

now, if you you guys said they suck and I said "nah they are fine" then I see drillin me... but thats not the case here.

GELLNER is not a hack shop and no name person, I trust what they did to my heads.... they are fine... Any head can lose a seat or whatever, at least I did what I could...I dont have open checkbook here...

Last edited by Full Force; 11-17-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, cut the guy some slack! wasn't this thread about proven recipes for 540s? Not what heads not to buy? I too sank a lot of money into making less than ideal heads work, not all of us can keep throwing that extra 5K here and 5K there at our boats!
I am with you Full Force, sometimes you are in too deep at the point where you shoulda done xxx, and you make do with what you got.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by high&Dry
Geez, cut the guy some slack! wasn't this thread about proven recipes for 540s? Not what heads not to buy? I too sank a lot of money into making less than ideal heads work, not all of us can keep throwing that extra 5K here and 5K there at our boats!
I am with you Full Force, sometimes you are in too deep at the point where you shoulda done xxx, and you make do with what you got.
exactly, if I knew the engines I bought were junk, I woulda just built my own from beginning I am doing the best with what I got on hand.... thx for understanding bud.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

heres one
canfield 320's unmolested,10.3-1 compression,single plane w/ dominator(brand eludes me now) and unlike the magical 741 engine,the cam we needed was 248,258,ls112,.629",.629".on the dyno w/ dyno headers made 670hp,,with the dana marine exhuast it made 692hp.enoungh to push a 33 sutphen to a constant and easy 93mph.
ignition system was simple small cap hei and truck coil.I told him to ask for 93 gmc 350 truck parts at napa.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
heres one
canfield 320's unmolested,10.3-1 compression,single plane w/ dominator(brand eludes me now) and unlike the magical 741 engine,the cam we needed was 248,258,ls112,.629",.629".on the dyno w/ dyno headers made 670hp,,with the dana marine exhuast it made 692hp.enoungh to push a 33 sutphen to a constant and easy 93mph.
ignition system was simple small cap hei and truck coil.I told him to ask for 93 gmc 350 truck parts at napa.
Sounds like a good combo, I have MSD all in one drop in marine disributors, love them so far...!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
Ignore the noise and follow your plan..... As I said before, these heads are fine for a normally aspirated build .... Thousands of these heads are running on the street every day....... Boost and super high compression with high rpm or crazy valve spring pressures are not what I would run with these heads...... Most failures occur because of these issues. I did my research......... I have these heads, I worked these heads so I have real world experience and not second hand rumor ..... My engine is a 502 with a dual plane intake so I was
After making big torque numbers. I have 10.2-1 C/R and a nice HR cam from Bob M anda marginal 496 style exhaust and I feel i am around 600lt/lbs TQ.........With the HP numbers you are after obviously you will need a good HR cam and matching springs. Good single plane intake with a good exhaust and I see your 540 making 650 plus all day long at moderate rpm levels....... Hopefully others will share their combos... Good luck with your buildup!
Thanks, I have Single plane intakes, use Stainless MArine exhaust dry to the transom, I feel 650 should be easy in my case... just trying to get ideas of what to expect..
Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
Ignore the noise and follow your plan..... As I said before, these heads are fine for a normally aspirated build .... Thousands of these heads are running on the street every day....... Boost and super high compression with high rpm or crazy valve spring pressures are not what I would run with these heads...... Most failures occur because of these issues. I did my research......... I have these heads, I worked these heads so I have real world experience and not second hand rumor ..... My engine is a 502 with a dual plane intake so I was
After making big torque numbers. I have 10.2-1 C/R and a nice HR cam from Bob M anda marginal 496 style exhaust and I feel i am around 600lt/lbs TQ.........With the HP numbers you are after obviously you will need a good HR cam and matching springs. Good single plane intake with a good exhaust and I see your 540 making 650 plus all day long at moderate rpm levels....... Hopefully others will share their combos... Good luck with your buildup!
Thanks, I have Single plane intakes, use Stainless MArine exhaust dry to the transom, I feel 650 should be easy in my case... just trying to get ideas of what to expect..
Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

yea, did the distributors last season after failing Thunderbolt boxes, I wanted something I can get easily anywhere, MSD been good to me, and Summit is local to me to get stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.