Low water pickup depth below bottom >

Low water pickup depth below bottom

Notices

Low water pickup depth below bottom

Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Been there done that even tried modifying low water pickup on the drive. Nothing worked. Had a transom mount pickup right off the bottom of the hull (boxed one just like everyone else) no go. I think the steps out a lot of air in the water I was seeing 18psi with drive pickup and flush transom hull pickup. Motor would get hot. Only thing that worked was burying the pickup. I talked to a guy that has rigged a ton of boats he said sometimes you get a hull with these issues.
I agree,,alot of trial and error till it works.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a proper way of setting up an offshore pick up. There are adjustable ones and others that have to be ground. In most cases the trailing edge should be around 1/16 to 1/4 " below the bottom. The best way to determine the X height is to pace a Tee & a 0 to 15 psi gauge between your pick up & sea pump; and have a water pressure gauge for the motor. You need NO MORE then 5psi ram pressure @WOT. anything more is just a waste and will be a speed loss. When I did testing of sea pumps on a pump dyno, the magic # was 5 psi @ wot. Then check your block pressure. Anything from 10 to 30spi is good there, don't get all hung up on thinking you need a ton of block pressure, you have the biggest supply of cooling water. If your worried about steam pockets drill & tap the back of the intake for air bleeds. If your pick up is more than 1/2 dragging, then fix your bottom. I have seen guys run high block pressure & blow buy in intake gasket &/or wonder why they have water in the bilge after a run???
Oh forgot to add you also can do this with the drive pick up by drilling and tapping s/s set screws in the holes or add hole as needed. Its all in the fine details guys & taking the time to do thinks right; NOT "its ok it works for me"....

Last edited by Bawana; 12-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
There is a proper way of setting up an offshore pick up. There are adjustable ones and others that have to be ground. In most cases the trailing edge should be around 1/16 to 1/4 " below the bottom. The best way to determine the X height is to pace a Tee & a 0 to 15 psi gauge between your pick up & sea pump; and have a water pressure gauge for the motor. You need NO MORE then 5psi ram pressure @WOT. anything more is just a waste and will be a speed loss. When I did testing of sea pumps on a pump dyno, the magic # was 5 psi @ wot. Then check your block pressure. Anything from 10 to 30spi is good there, don't get all hung up on thinking you need a ton of block pressure, you have the biggest supply of cooling water. If your worried about steam pockets drill & tap the back of the intake for air bleeds. If your pick up is more than 1/2 dragging, then fix your bottom. I have seen guys run high block pressure & blow buy in intake gasket &/or wonder why they have water in the bilge after a run???
Oh forgot to add you also can do this with the drive pick up by drilling and tapping s/s set screws in the holes or add hole as needed. Its all in the fine details guys & taking the time to do thinks right; NOT "its ok it works for me"....
That's good information , thanks .
Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds good to me. I was going to grind off until I see 20psi motor pressure and stop there.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cap'm Kurt
Sounds good to me. I was going to grind off until I see 20psi motor pressure and stop there.
Doing that you will be fine
Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bawana
Doing that you will be fine
Where is the proper location of water pressure readings? Mine is right after the freshwater pump on the PS cooler and before the engine oil cooler which acts as a strainer somewhat since the exchanger holes are only about 1/8 to 3/16". I am going to move it to the engine as I think the reading should come after the engine oil cooler which can restrict the water.

Should it be on the thermostat housing below the thermostat, or down on the block?

Should there be much difference in pressure between these two locations? Assuming a clean block.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cap'm Kurt
Where is the proper location of water pressure readings? Mine is right after the freshwater pump on the PS cooler and before the engine oil cooler which acts as a strainer somewhat since the exchanger holes are only about 1/8 to 3/16". I am going to move it to the engine as I think the reading should come after the engine oil cooler which can restrict the water.

Should it be on the thermostat housing below the thermostat, or down on the block?

Should there be much difference in pressure between these two locations? Assuming a clean block.
I like to tap into the back of the intake to get my block pressure. Some guys tee into the block drains, only problem there is soot & sand will plug your sending hose. Before the thermostat will be fine. And yes , if you take pressure readings taken before restrictions, like in coolers that can have blockage, you will see high readings at that point. Too much block pressure can blow thru your intake gasket into the oil galley.... bad buzzzzzzzzz. Like I stated in earlier posts, you don't need a ton of block pressure. Its about water FLOW (GPM) not pressure . http://youtu.be/HWGcvwHZSE8
Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member

thanks bawana
Old 12-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The pickup @ 3" deep cost me 3mph but the motor doesn't get hot.
you sure thats not youre speedometer pickup. :-) jesus how do you keep that from getting ripped off the boat ... you must always have a rooster going )))))))) just playing

Last edited by ROB FREEMAN; 12-16-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Mine were 1/2" deep and the pressure was getting over 30psi@ 4000rpm
At 3" it must be like 70psi lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.