benefits of distributor-less ignition >

benefits of distributor-less ignition

Notices

benefits of distributor-less ignition

Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534716[/ATTACH]"As Gimme mentioned, if you want to run sequential, you need to have a cam position sensor. In the case of the Mefi, the cam sensor allows you to run 2 knock sensors and have individual cylinder knock retard. With the Mefi, we make a 1x cam sensor that takes the place of the distributor. I'm not sure what the Holley uses. Haxby could better answer that. You can have DIS without the cam sensor, but it's so easy to incorporate it. There are some that are commercially available. I just didn't really care for them. The have a cast housing with a stamped steel wheel. They just look cheap to me. That's why we did a billet aluminum piece. It has a larger shaft, sealed roller bearings, the wheel is hard coat anodized, etc. Obviously, it costs more than the cast one, but I think it's worth it."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534715[/ATTACH]
Thats a good looking piece, I wonder if they are having Eddie Young build them for them?
A guy in Ca makes them. He was making a bunch of them but not so much anymore. I don't make them, nor did I say I did. But, I do have some of the technical drawings if you would like to see them. We have been trying to get the sensor wheel made elsewhere for a better price. I have no idea who else he was selling them to. I'm sure there are quite a few others buying/selling them. I'm pretty sure that Gary Teague uses them, as does Dustin Whipple.
Eddie
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several commercial options available for cam sync distributors. I've seen no issues with the factory vortec units, even at 9000rpm. Another option with the Holley efi if you already have an msd distributor, is to cut all but one tooth off the reluctor. Because you'll be using individual coils, you don't need to worry about rotor phasing, and the mag pickup is very reliable without all the high voltage in there. I agree a DIS is better in every way but, on the flip side of that argument, a stock GM distributor and coil have no problem lighting the fire on a 1000hp blower motor, and they're cheap and easy for a first time efi setup especially. With the Holley, you can still run dual knock sensors, and have full programability of where and when it pulls timing, when using this style distributor. Also, if you need a hotter coil, you can use the same distributor, and just use a msd/Daytona/Crane box to fire the coil, with all the timing control still coming from the computer. Another option is to run the 58x wheel and waste fire coils, no need for a cam sync then.
I have done a lot of A-B-A testing on ignition systems, and sequential vs paired vs batch fired. Bottom line, like I tell all my customers, if you're doing an efi conversion, start simple and go boating. My 2 cents.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
A guy in Ca makes them. He was making a bunch of them but not so much anymore. I don't make them, nor did I say I did. But, I do have some of the technical drawings if you would like to see them. We have been trying to get the sensor wheel made elsewhere for a better price. I have no idea who else he was selling them to. I'm sure there are quite a few others buying/selling them. I'm pretty sure that Gary Teague uses them, as does Dustin Whipple.
Eddie
Oh, I got the impression you were making them which would be pretty cool and that maybe you had bought some CNC equipment to use in your shop. You do have a manual mill though right, if you had time and bought a rotary table/indexing head I would think you could build the crank trigger wheels though. This is what I use to drill brake rotors and to spline axles and shafts, pinning blower rotors etc. You can mount it on its back facing up too to build something like a crank trigger. 58 tooth, divide 360 by 58 then cut each notch at that degree 6.206 etc, they sell sine/dividing plates too that you can index it with for precise work: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
Attached Thumbnails benefits of distributor-less ignition-mill.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 12-24-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I do have a mill and a 12" rotary table as well. My problem is time. There are only 2 of us full time. That's intentional. I want to be able to build everything that goes out the door. I make a ton of parts/brackets, etc. but then have them CNC'd after that. For example, I recently did an injector plate and fuel rails for the 575. I made the first one and we are digitizing it now. My machine shop recently bought a 5 axis Centroid. Been playing with it quite a bit lately. What an awesome piece. It opens the door for all kinds of cool stuff to play with.
Eddie
Old 12-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I was thinking about mounting the Ls reluctor to a bbc crank...
I just finished this ill repin the coils to go with the conventional BBC firing order ill test it out with my tunnel ram and carbs after that ill swap my LSX ecm in and my 4bbl single plane efi manifold and repin the injectors for the BBC firing order

6572 BBC

6543 LSX

you can see splitting the firing order to mating cylinders swap 4 7 and 2 3

Last edited by roughneck427; 12-24-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I do have a mill and a 12" rotary table as well. My problem is time. There are only 2 of us full time. That's intentional. I want to be able to build everything that goes out the door. I make a ton of parts/brackets, etc. but then have them CNC'd after that. For example, I recently did an injector plate and fuel rails for the 575. I made the first one and we are digitizing it now. My machine shop recently bought a 5 axis Centroid. Been playing with it quite a bit lately. What an awesome piece. It opens the door for all kinds of cool stuff to play with.
Eddie
theres just not enough time in the day.and then it seems the time we have,flies by.I feel like I'm always under the gun to finish projects and I certainly don't dilly dally.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I have done a lot of A-B-A testing on ignition systems, and sequential vs paired vs batch fired. Bottom line, like I tell all my customers, if you're doing an efi conversion, start simple and go boating. My 2 cents.
Haxby, In your testing of sequential vs paired, etc, how much difference do you see? Some say top end can increase slightly, have you seen that?... cleaner idle? I currently have Holley DIS. I have my msd distributor modified and connected with the mag pickup, but have only run paired thus far while I was dialing everything in. I was concerned about the mag pickup causing issues, so I left it out at first... good to hear you've had success with it and DIS.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Registered

Everyone needs a Bridgeport.

...and a Monarch, a TIG and a couple band saws.

Last edited by Cole2534; 12-24-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roughneck427
I just finished this ill repin the coils to go with the conventional BBC firing order ill test it out with my tunnel ram and carbs after that ill swap my LSX ecm in and my 4bbl single plane efi manifold and repin the injectors for the BBC firing order

6572 BBC

6543 LSX

you can see splitting the firing order to mating cylinders swap 4 7 and 2 3

Just curious. How are you timing the reuctor wheel to the sensor?
Old 12-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Just curious. How are you timing the reuctor wheel to the sensor?
Here is where tdc is and that's why the wheel is slotted to lock in tdc on scanner whatever timing is verify it where it is on the balancer with a timing light

Last edited by roughneck427; 12-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.