Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
benefits of distributor-less ignition >

benefits of distributor-less ignition

Notices

benefits of distributor-less ignition

Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit familiar with Eletromotive units built into their EFI and stand alone. What it does do is reduce emmisions a bit as a plug is fired on compression and one on exhaust at the same time. They eliminate a spark gap. They have the ability to adjust dwell eletronic distributor systems dont. A 1bar map sensor can be connected to act like vacuum advance (not sure how well that would work on a marine app but would try it. Of corse for boost other MAP sensors can be installed. More time for the coil to build up spark. Oh it does help carb set ups too.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Eddie installed them on my engines. One of the main benefits is the ablility to run dual knock sensors which is a lot more protection for the engine. My engines were 1070hp quad efi whipples. Fuel distribution with my set up was poor because I wanted to go with low boost. If you crank up the whipples the distribution is much better but my main goal was longevity. With the MSD, distribution between the 2 banks was way different forcing Eddie to tune the richer bank even more rich. When he changed to the coil on plug system, he was able to get them almost the same. This didn't correct the distribution issue but masked it because the coil on plug system had the ability to ingnite the fuel load in the cylinder. My oil with the MSD would become fuel contaminated pretty quickly. With the coil on plug the oil just remained like new til I changed at the end of the year.
It is pricey, but worth it. Really, ideal for all performance engines would be distributorless ignition and port injection. I think Eddie pretty much only does distributorless ignition now as it really doesn't cost that much more with a scratch build.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Eddie installed them on my engines. One of the main benefits is the ablility to run dual knock sensors which is a lot more protection for the engine. My engines were 1070hp quad efi whipples. Fuel distribution with my set up was poor because I wanted to go with low boost. If you crank up the whipples the distribution is much better but my main goal was longevity. With the MSD, distribution between the 2 banks was way different forcing Eddie to tune the richer bank even more rich. When he changed to the coil on plug system, he was able to get them almost the same. This didn't correct the distribution issue but masked it because the coil on plug system had the ability to ingnite the fuel load in the cylinder. My oil with the MSD would become fuel contaminated pretty quickly. With the coil on plug the oil just remained like new til I changed at the end of the year.
It is pricey, but worth it. Really, ideal for all performance engines would be distributorless ignition and port injection. I think Eddie pretty much only does distributorless ignition now as it really doesn't cost that much more with a scratch build.
What kind of efi are you running?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

MEFI 4B boat sold and in Cali.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Port injected is what got me thinking about all this, they seem to like crank triggers. Is that to fire individual cylinders instead of banks or batches?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MEFI 4B boat sold and in Cali.
I wonder if a more powerful Holley system was used if the results in fuel distribution would be the same. Is the problem the blower or an efi system that was never intended to be used in a boat or work with a blower...?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engines were 1070hp quad efi whipples. Fuel distribution with my set up was poor because I wanted to go with low boost. If you crank up the whipples the distribution is much better but my main goal was longevity.
What's the thought process here, why quads if you want a low boost setup?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roughly how much does it cost?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cole2534
What's the thought process here, why quads if you want a low boost setup?
Whipples line up is 3.3, 4,5,8.3 litres. The 3.3 not enough, my quads were the twin 2.3 so 4.6 total. I found a deal on the quads which was about one third the cost of a new whipple intake, intercooler and blower system. Eddie was not excited about using the quads.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
Port injected is what got me thinking about all this, they seem to like crank triggers. Is that to fire individual cylinders instead of banks or batches?
most all of the EFI's running now are batch fired some have gone to sequential, but more complexed...the holley unit it I believe, Alex haxby can answer that easily...

Last edited by ezstriper; 12-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.