Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 rebuild with blower... Pistons and clearances. >

454 rebuild with blower... Pistons and clearances.

Notices

454 rebuild with blower... Pistons and clearances.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ealesh33
So in your experience you have never seen a "Happy Dyno" or a Conservative Dyno" ?
yes i have but if the dyno is calibrated correctly and used for it,s intended purpous it is a very valuable tool.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its General Question and Answer, and if someone asks a question, there will always be many people that have the "answer" or input on the question. There will be different opinions, there will be facts, and there will be wrong information. fi you expect that everyone will share your opinion or the same experiences that you have then you are going to have a constant battle on the internet posting information. It doesn't matter what you post it will see some sort of criticism or disagreement from someone. Dyno may be a reference, or data, or whatever you want to consider it, but it isn't a hard data point, if it was then you would be able to take any engine to any dyno in the country at any time and it would spit out the exact same figures every time on every dyno.

Last edited by ealesh33; 01-24-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
yes i have but if the dyno is calibrated correctly and used for it,s intended purpous it is a very valuable tool.
I 100% agree, its a priceless tool honestly. But the data that comes from it could be skewed one way or the other is all I am saying, and that number can be skewed a significant amount depending.

We have the same mind set here, we want the dyno to simulate "in the boat" atmosphere as much as we can. Unfortunately not every dyno is set up that way, calibrated that way, or calibrated frequently for that matter.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered

i will add that the tech that esist today for dyno,s takes all the correction information and imputs it directly to the machine,s computer,then it self corrects for all the things that effect the reading.when it comes time to choose where to take your engine for dyno tuning it is wise to ask questions before before spending your hard earned money.edit in-this is why i do all my dyno work where i do,they have state of the art equipment and there duno spits out facts,it,s not a wish o meter.

Last edited by mike tkach; 01-24-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

At work I just tap on the glass till the needle reads what I want. Same thing then, I guess.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Payton
sounds to me like someone doesn't want to pay the $$$ for a dyno session. I'm glad I did, and I like the results. I'm also glad I chose Mike to build my engines. I think the combination he and Bob came up with is working very well with the blower I had and my desire to run on 89 octane.
I really have not figured out what your complaint is. There are other combinations out that and good reasons for them. Go with them. Good luck.
Mark, as BS aside, I am excited as heck for you, to get these engines in the boat. We know what it ran with the 420 combos, and I think you are gonna be extremely happy with these two new engines in your boat. You did an excellent job on last years interior makeover, and now you're gonna have some sweet engines to push that boat to speeds it's never been to. You did it right. You didnt cut corners, trying to reuse old pistons, rods, half azz machine work, reusing old heads, and what not. You spent some coin, but I feel you did it right. It makes life much easier for the guy doing the assembling and what not, dealing with someone who's willing to take the steps needed. I've seen way to many guys want to cut corners, and not only does it make life hard for the builder, it usually comes back to bite everyone in the azz.

I would like to come down with Mike to help dial it in on the maiden voyage if thats cool with you guys.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ealesh33
As soon as you noted it lost in the midrange with the bigger blower that was my first thought that at that level the power needed to turn the blower is what hurt the mid range, from the way I read it seems like that is your assessment as well?
That would be my assumption as well. If you simply walked up to a 177, and a fresh tight 871 sitting on a bench, and spun each pulley by hand, theirs no question which one turns with less effort.

In an equal comparision, if the 8-71 is producing an extra 100HP up top, and gave up 30ftlbs at 3500 to the 177, the 8-71 combo is still going to make for a much faster boat. It has been proven many times on merc's 575sci. Replacing the small 256 blower, with an 8-71, even at the same boost level, has netted significant speed increases, with no other mods, and guy's who've done it, have been very pleased with the results. Just as I was, when replacing the 177 with a 250, and replacing the 250, with a 420. Each time i upgraded, I saw gains, which is the ultimate goal, is it not?

In a scenerio like Paytons, maybe down the road sometime, he will get an itch to go even faster. He has a solid foundation to work off of now, and in the future, if he scored a deal on some blowers, he'd be able to bolt them on and probably pick up an extra 5mph or more. But at this point, his current builds have met and exceeded his goal, and should make his boating experiance, alot more fun than last year.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Mark, as BS aside, I am excited as heck for you, to get these engines in the boat. We know what it ran with the 420 combos, and I think you are gonna be extremely happy with these two new engines in your boat. You did an excellent job on last years interior makeover, and now you're gonna have some sweet engines to push that boat to speeds it's never been to. You did it right. You didnt cut corners, trying to reuse old pistons, rods, half azz machine work, reusing old heads, and what not. You spent some coin, but I feel you did it right. It makes life much easier for the guy doing the assembling and what not, dealing with someone who's willing to take the steps needed. I've seen way to many guys want to cut corners, and not only does it make life hard for the builder, it usually comes back to bite everyone in the azz.

I would like to come down with Mike to help dial it in on the maiden voyage if thats cool with you guys.
joe,since you offered to help i am going to hold you to it,we may even have a few beers when we are done.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i will add that the tech that esist today for dyno,s takes all the correction information and imputs it directly to the machine,s computer,then it self corrects for all the things that effect the reading.when it comes time to choose where to take your engine for dyno tuning it is wise to ask questions before before spending your hard earned money.edit in-this is why i do all my dyno work where i do,they have state of the art equipment and there duno spits out facts,it,s not a wish o meter.
Yes the dyno that we are using is the dyno that my builder uses for all of his motors including the motors in his race boat, if anything its on the conservative side. The shop where the dyno is use it predominately for circle track cars where it is crucial for the dyno to be dialed in. They have a test mule that they run and calibrate the dyno constantly.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
That would be my assumption as well. If you simply walked up to a 177, and a fresh tight 871 sitting on a bench, and spun each pulley by hand, theirs no question which one turns with less effort.

In an equal comparision, if the 8-71 is producing an extra 100HP up top, and gave up 30ftlbs at 3500 to the 177, the 8-71 combo is still going to make for a much faster boat. It has been proven many times on merc's 575sci. Replacing the small 256 blower, with an 8-71, even at the same boost level, has netted significant speed increases, with no other mods, and guy's who've done it, have been very pleased with the results. Just as I was, when replacing the 177 with a 250, and replacing the 250, with a 420. Each time i upgraded, I saw gains, which is the ultimate goal, is it not?

In a scenerio like Paytons, maybe down the road sometime, he will get an itch to go even faster. He has a solid foundation to work off of now, and in the future, if he scored a deal on some blowers, he'd be able to bolt them on and probably pick up an extra 5mph or more. But at this point, his current builds have met and exceeded his goal, and should make his boating experiance, alot more fun than last year.
Performance in the boat is what matters, and tells all really, so absolutely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.