which one should I buy B-max or IMCO SC >

which one should I buy B-max or IMCO SC

Notices

which one should I buy B-max or IMCO SC

Old 09-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bravo shop came out with a new redesigned lower foot, prob close the the imco and sport master,he said better hydrodamics?.prob has same guts as the old bravo shop foot?havent seen a picture yet .he said he was going to post on site when can. i think the imco foot would be stronger because of the torsion bar style shaft, imco said there weak link now it the pinion gear that usally breaks in a race condtions.the bravo shop uses some sortof 4340 style steel prop shaft that rust, imco and merc dosent rust,steel may be stronger than the stainless but may snap?they usally break at the base of splines, lost prop and shaft once.On a single engine v hull thats heavy its going to be real tough on the drive,com pared to a twin engine or cat that doesent load as hard, havent heard much about people breaking the lowers much any more.on both . havent been into my b-maxs yet to see what in side. had a bravo shop bravo one in the beging and i (assume) the foot is the same as b-max lower? thats just my opion.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bmax is the way to go, I have a friend with
60 hrs. on one with over 1400 hp.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Registered

I will let you know my opinion Monday, as we will see if IMCO stands behind their drive.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:41 AM
waverunner

Default BMAX

I would try the IMCO Extremes. I purchased the BMAX drives, and yes they have large gears, and weigh much more than XRs, but I have yet to be able to get them to run correctly. The consideration most boaters do no think about is the repair infrastructure.

No one has been able to fix the drives right. Bravo Shop appears to be a small time organization, without links to people that have worked on the drives, around the country. IMCO is, at least, a significant organization, with a strong disctribution network.

With the problems that I am having, my dealer has suggested that I move to IMCO with my next boat.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Registered

If I was going to start from scratch again...new boat that is...I would go with SSM's
Old 09-10-2002, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Back4more,

What did IMCO say about covering your drives. I'd think with the way they are advertising they would cover you.

Powerboat ad: 147mph cat

I hope you come out ok.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Registered

How about the Teague Drives. How do they Compare to the IMCO.

My buddy is running 800's in a 35 fountain single step and just blew an IMCO extreme advantage. He is wondering what he should try next.

any ideas.

Has anyone ever converted to Speedmaster 3's. Besides moving the motors forward, how much work is involved? How do these drives compare/hold up?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by hi-perf-2000; 09-10-2002 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally posted by joe900sc
Hey Back4more,

What did IMCO say about covering your drives. I'd think with the way they are advertising they would cover you.

Powerboat ad: 147mph cat

I hope you come out ok.
Mark,
Talk to Joe on that one!
He did it right form the get go...#3a's

As for the IMCO SC that let go on our boat...long story short we(Fred and I from IMCO) found that the pinion gear was not heat treated properly which caused premature wear on its teeth and became out of alignment which thus fractured a tooth on the upper gear set.
This unit had about 15 hrs total useage.
He says he "fully stands behind this upper half" because it was a bad component issue and not driver abuse.
But did remind me that these drives "do not" carry a factory warranty because of the possiblity of miss use.
The half is still at IMCO(one full week) and im expecting to hear something as to when it will be shipped back to me soon.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Registered

none!
if you can; install a tranny and ssm-V
go for the real thing
Old 09-19-2002, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just had this dicusion with back for more. bravo anthing is not meant for this application. with that horsepower behing a cat you will be going to fast. you need a minimum of a speed master threeA. if you don't want a transmision use a crash box. trust me it will be better in the long run.

the boat will go just as fast if you had a bmax on it but the speed three will make the boat handle ten times better. and if you ever get in trouble in the wter the speed three transom assembley is made to take it.

plus it is not as expensive as you think. shop around there are great deals out there right now.

treadwell

Quick Reply: which one should I buy B-max or IMCO SC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.