Power vs reliability

Notices

Power vs reliability

Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
This stuff is old to me but when the motors go back together this time I might just do it. I made a jig to do the blocks to install the piston squirter's had thoughts on trying to sell the idea and rent or sell the jig to do it. but never did. Its pretty good idea.

Bo Laws makes a very cost effective kit to drill your own pin/crown oilers. This kit gets essentially the same result as the Dart Pro Stock Shop block option.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DomeOilerInstall1.pdf (802.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: pdf
DomeOilerInstall2.pdf (497.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information bob, I will be calling you in the future as well to get one of your magic custom cut cams. With that kit I'm assuming that it drills through the mains to tap into in main oil supply, with that being true does it rob oil from the main bearings and then could possibly lead to starving the main bearings of oil? Or is this not even a concern with that kit?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Info Sheet

There is no durability penalty in using the piston sprayers. They offer two orifice sizes depending upon the level of thermal transfer from the crown. The upside is a significant increase in detonation resistance as a result of the assist in thermal

transfer provided to the top ring.

Bob

http://www.mediafire.com/view/r3eyyj...ngine_Tech.pdf
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Registered

I run piston sprayers in my 1100's , mains have never had an oil starvation problem .
FYI for those of you that don't know Eric (Apache 14) personally , he is one creative and ingenious guy.
Don't let my compliment go to your head though
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Anyone have a link for that blp kit? May want to do that to my 604's
Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...x&cPath=78_168
Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Anyone have a link for that blp kit? May want to do that to my 604's
I ordered one of their kits (cheaper than anybody else's). And as I recall Bo Law pioneered that design for the NASCAR back in the day. The quality of BLP's products are top notch. B4 I ordered the kit I researched piston oiling and the benefits of it. A lot of the OEM's are using piston oiling it is the real deal and there is power there. One particular Cadillac motor increased timing a few degrees and gained 18ft lbs of torque. Yes, only a small gain but in my opinion it's the small gains that add up and make for a good motor. Instead of concentrating on making 100xtra hp try to make an extra 20hp 5 times...
Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a chart to show how many expected hours of reliable run time vs power vs cost vs maintenance on a marine big block. Obviously there could be dozens of different charts but at least one would help.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 03-17-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a chart to show how many expected hours of reliable run time vs power vs cost vs maintenance on a marine big block. Obviously there could be dozens of different charts but at least one would help.
I think all you can do, is talk with engine builders or guys, who've run similar setups and get their feedback. Engineering the build on paper is great, but the product needs to be field tested.

Like General Motors. When they develop a new engine, the engine is designed from the ground up. Then, it is put to test. For example. The 8.1L engine, that was used in light and medium duty trucks, as well as marine applications. It went thru 200,000 mile testing, and 300 hours of WIDE OPEN run time, before it was released to the market.

I think when you're doing a one off full custom build, all you can do is rely on the engineering part of it, and hope for the best, as you will be performing the durability test..

Some guys build engines and hold them wide open twice a summer for 20 seconds at a time. Some guys build engines and hold them wide open twice a weekend for 20 minutes at a time.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I ordered one of their kits (cheaper than anybody else's). And as I recall Bo Law pioneered that design for the NASCAR back in the day. The quality of BLP's products are top notch. B4 I ordered the kit I researched piston oiling and the benefits of it. A lot of the OEM's are using piston oiling it is the real deal and there is power there. One particular Cadillac motor increased timing a few degrees and gained 18ft lbs of torque. Yes, only a small gain but in my opinion it's the small gains that add up and make for a good motor. Instead of concentrating on making 100xtra hp try to make an extra 20hp 5 times...
Tried to pm you, box is full. What is the minimum oil pump you can run with something like this? The 1075's have pop off valves in the block that you can only get by ordering the block from Mercury from what I understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.