Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Power vs reliability >

Power vs reliability

Notices

Power vs reliability

Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does using the oil to cool the piston cause a significant reduction in the life of the lube? Seems it would be scorched, no clue but I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Does using the oil to cool the piston cause a significant reduction in the life of the lube? Seems it would be scorched, no clue but I thought I'd ask.
I don't think so over the road diesel oil change is 25000. miles
Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point. My tired old diesel tractors oil looks like tar after 60 to 80 hours though, but they're old, tired and get worked pretty hard.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
No, but an improper tune that causes high combustion chamber temp and thus hotter pistons will. You can smell it. And this happens without piston spraying too.

Remember how pistons and rings are lubricated and what is between the pistons/rings and the cylinder wall. Oil.

Nothing is really tougher on oil than a turbo. And that's when it's ran thru the turbo, especially when engine is stopped and it sits in the turbo.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
No, but an improper tune that causes high combustion chamber temp and thus hotter pistons will. You can smell it. And this happens without piston spraying too.

Remember how pistons and rings are lubricated and what is between the pistons/rings and the cylinder wall. Oil.

Nothing is really tougher on oil than a turbo. And that's when it's ran thru the turbo, especially when engine is stopped and it sits in the turbo.

Can't agree more. I have had Mercedes Diesels for the past 20 years and all of them had under piston oil jets to help cool the pistons. Never a problem. Within the owners manual it clearly stated that after you run the car at highway speeds (turbo is spooled up) and you decided to stop make sure that you idle the car for a few minutes to avoid the oil from baking on the bearings of the turbo-- that sucker gets pretty hot. I have done this religiously since day one in all of my cars --- even though my boat doesn't have a turbo-- I do the same thing in that too. Using this approach I have never had one bit of problem. The oil change interval on my E320CDI is 13,000. I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 since new. I had an oil analysis done a couple of years ago and I was amazed after this mileage that the oil - with the exception of soot - was almost equal to new- it probably could have easily gone another 13K without any issue.

Speak volumes about the quality of synthetic oils.

3pointstar
Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

as far back as 1983,Audi 5 cylinder turbo motors (gas) had oil squirters.All my engines went 300k plus miles before I sold them.A couple of them I doubled the factory hp.My diesels I go 12k miles on oil changes and the oil checks out rather well.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I ordered one of their kits (cheaper than anybody else's). And as I recall Bo Law pioneered that design for the NASCAR back in the day. The quality of BLP's products are top notch. B4 I ordered the kit I researched piston oiling and the benefits of it. A lot of the OEM's are using piston oiling it is the real deal and there is power there. One particular Cadillac motor increased timing a few degrees and gained 18ft lbs of torque. Yes, only a small gain but in my opinion it's the small gains that add up and make for a good motor. Instead of concentrating on making 100xtra hp try to make an extra 20hp 5 times...
BB what was the outcome with the Pistons oiler kit you bought as mentioned in this thread?
Have you done the install yet and if so than what is the oil pressure like in that engine?
Old 10-05-2015, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 260Velocity
BB what was the outcome with the Pistons oiler kit you bought as mentioned in this thread?
Have you done the install yet and if so than what is the oil pressure like in that engine?
Outcome is its still sitting in the box. I have a lot of stuff going on and it's difficult to devote any time to my hobby. Motor should be assembled around the first of the year. I'm running a dry sump so oil pressure will not be an issue.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The whole turbo oil thing.. When I lived in Cali I had some friends in the street racing scene, that had little japanese turbo rice burners. They all add a gizmo called a turbo timer. When you turned the key off and removed it the engine would continue to run at idle for a couple minutes to cool the turbo, then it would turn itself off.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
I run them and also spring oilers on my wet sumps, but I do use a titan pump. No oil pressure problems.
Do you remember what Titan pump you used?