Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil filter... >

Oil filter...

Notices

Oil filter...

Old 03-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Cool. I did ditch the manifolds for some CMI headers that dump 6" from the transom so my reversion issues should be done.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
Mobil one and K& N oil filters internally are the exact same filters - the exact same - one costs a dollar less. If your are worried about your filter media - look into system one filters.

www.system1filters.com
Yes, both made by Champ laboratories. I agree that the WIX racing filter is ok, however I think quite a few people forget it has a 60 micron rating which is pretty lousy. It flows more, however not much more than what the mobil 1, K&N and Royal Purple oil filters do. These three offerings(champ labs) are in the 18-20 micron filtration range, although they do have bypass valves built in.

The mobil one/K&N filter is a hybrid material comprised of cellulose and synthetic glass fibers. This gives it high flow and excellent dirt capturing ability. The Royal purple filter is a 100% synthetic glass media with a pleated metal reinforcment webbing. Essentially very much like the amsoil filters. These are some of the best oil filters you can buy.

Imo system one filters are for racing engines that see frequent tear down, not a marine engine you expect to get many hours of use out of. Their micron rating is even less than WIX racing filters if I recall. I would just pick one of the 3 above and be happy. Any further concerns with water in the oil maybe consider a used oil analysis.

Last edited by chrisf695; 03-10-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
They look like CAT fuel filters for the big diesels. What did you use for the housing?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538340[/ATTACH] Its dirty.
Attached Thumbnails Oil filter...-001.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How about donaldson oil filters? I know in the big truck world, donaldson is a respected name in filters. Heck, alot of light duty trucks had donaldson air filtration systems on them.

The part number for our typical "wix 51060" is Donaldson # P550964. In donaldsons catalog, they show it to be 99% efficient, at 35 microns of flow. Saw them online for about 5 bucks a piece.

Quote from amsoil's site

Increased engine emissions control and tighter tolerances within the engine require high efficiency filters.

Donaldson P-Series filters are typically constructed with cellulose or synthetic blend media for high efficiency. The media is embedded deeper into the sealing plastisol than conventional filters, allowing better sealing longevity. The lube filter can is constructed of heavy gauge steel, with many models having domed tops that provide superior pressure fatigue performance. The center tube allows more flow without compromising strength, and the louvered design eliminates tearing during pleat movement. The can and base plate are assembled using a fully tucked seam, roll-formed threads, a nitrile sealing gasket and a compression spring holding all the components in place within the filter.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Donaldson actually developed the technology that Amsoil is now using in their filter line. Donaldson did quite a bit of R&D with the United stated military when the M1 Abrams came into service. Turbines running in a sandy hot desert need specialized filtration.

Remember that most of the numbers are "nominal" not "absolute". I'm almost certain the wix racing filter is right around 60um. I will double check just for the sake of not leading anyone astray. Wix makes great filters, IMO the racing filter isn't one of them. With filter technology as it stands today, why anyone would opt for a cellulose filter that if effectively a rock catcher, is beyond me. In most cases, a synthetic glass media will outflow a cellulose one. Dirt catching capability wise, glass media always wins. Only downside is cost.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Devil's advocate with a note that I like all the information given:

Anybody ever lose a boat motor because the oil filter didn't filter fine enough ?

Last edited by SB; 03-10-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Devile's advocate with a note that I like all the information given:

Anybody ever lose a boat motor because the oil filter didn't filter fine enough ?
Oil pan after 300 hrs of use using the Wix Racing filter . Looks pretty clean and all bearings were in great shape .

Last edited by the deep; 03-10-2015 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeffswav (05-02-2022)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the cost of a rebuild, why would anyone ever skimp on oil or filter! I personally want
the best there is and consider it money well spent.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Oil filters are about the only engine related part we didn't fight about yet this winter so hurry up guys , time's running out .
Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
I personally want
the best there is and consider it money well spent.
AMEN.

I doubt you'll receive any argument to that.

Originally Posted by the deep
Oil filters are about the only engine related part we didn't fight about yet this winter so hurry up guys , time's running out .
Boogie Woogie is not here.

Last edited by SB; 03-10-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.