Oil filter...

Notices

Oil filter...

Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisf695
Either the K&N part number HP3002 or Royal Purple 1218. Both have very high flow and excellent micron ratings.
Thank you for the education .
Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I read somewhere that the majority of engine wear comes from particles in your oil that were smaller than 5 microns. No clue if it was true but it made sense.
I will try to find the SAE paper regarding GM's study on filtration efficiency and the reduction in wear they experienced by tightening up the filtration. It wasn't in the 5 micron range, and their results would blow your mind.

Many of the bypass filtration companies throw around micron ratings and "test results". Bypass filtration works when implemented properly, with proven products. Many of the well known bypass products filter down around 2-3 microns absolute. Sub micronic material is of little detriment, so the manufacturers focus on the range of particle that show the most harm in whatever machinery they are protecting.

So I tried to access the SAE file but it's locked(have to pay to view it). At any rate this article includes part of that study. Keep in mind that GM tested different micron sizes and this is only part of the complete study performed.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ass-filtration

Last edited by chrisf695; 03-10-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the K&N HP6002. It's the longer version of the HP3002. Figure more filter area and flow. Filters down to 10 microns and has the highest burst pressures. chrisf695, These advertise as not having a bypass valve.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-hp-6002/overview/
Old 03-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
I run the K&N HP6002. It's the longer version of the HP3002. Figure more filter area and flow. Filters down to 10 microns and has the highest burst pressures. chrisf695, These advertise as not having a bypass valve.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-hp-6002/overview/
Just remember bigger isn't always better . In all seriousness though, it's true. If the application doesn't warrant the bigger filter, it isn't improving anything. Yes that filter does not have a built in bypass valve.

***For anyone with the GM oil bypass valves build into your block, an oil filter without a built in bypass is the proper one to purchase. IF your block is plugged, select a filter WITH a bypass valve built in.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a big believer in bypass filters. for dirty ass diesels going a long time between changes.. as much as we change our oil and as efficient as our engine run (blow by) i dont see a need for it,
just what ive learned at class for work (cummins).
Old 03-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=

***For anyone with the GM oil bypass valves build into your block, an oil filter without a built in bypass is the proper one to purchase. IF your block is plugged, select a filter WITH a bypass valve built in.[/QUOTE]

I run the filter with no bypass valve and my block is plugged. I change my oil and filter often. I watch my oil pressure close always! I feel it is less risk than the chance of unfiltered oil going straight to the bearings.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A good buddy of mine has a toilet paper filter in his truck (400k miles) oil always looks clean.You can wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel anytime and its always clean oil.When he changes the oil its cleaner coming out than going in.
http://www.kc-synthetic-oil.com/toil...il-filter.html.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
I run the filter with no bypass valve and my block is plugged. I change my oil and filter often. I watch my oil pressure close always! I feel it is less risk than the chance of unfiltered oil going straight to the bearings.
Glad it's working for you, however some folks aren't that great about filter changes, and IMO going plugged, selecting a filter with a built in bypass is the way to go. I think many times we are driven by what makes us feel good, not actual data. Most don't understand that bypass valves operate on differential pressure, not actual pressure. Take the 30lb oil bypass valves for example, something would need to be terribly wrong to take one of these off the seat. With no bypass valve at all, what if the filter fails internally? It happens. Not a risk Id like to take.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

The two collapsed filters I dealt with both had bypasses. Didn't help. They both came in because of having almost no oil pressure when driving.

Just my very small experience in this regard.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisf695
Either the K&N part number HP3002 or Royal Purple 1218. Both have very high flow and excellent micron ratings.
Just ordered the K&N. $12 on Amazon. Also now that I've ditched the manifolds there's room for the tall filter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.