Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil filter... >

Oil filter...

Notices

Oil filter...

Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are always sacrifices, however dealing with glass media, donaldson was able to match the great flow of poor performing cellulose while trapping quite a bit more dirt/contaminants. So the rule of improved filtration equals more restriction is true, however the impact when using glass media is minimal. In some cases these glass filters still outflow higher flowing traditional cellulose.

Regarding a larger filter flowing more, I think we are focusing too much on the media and not the in/out port size of the filter itself. This cannot be changed. So the only thing gained is for an engine that is going longer between oil changes (more surface area that's not plugged over time) untilizing a longer filter with deeper media).

My point with oil volume is that GM spent millions designing the oiling system on these engines. When looking at turnover rate regarding engine oil cooling, a larger volume of oil takes longer to heat, it also takes longer to cool. It won't kill your engine, however it's not gaining you anything either. And the K&N filter is NOT 10um (micron) absolute. Remember these manufacturers list absolute numbers and nominal, absolute being the filters ability at full efficiency to capture a given size, ie 99.8 efficient @ 18 microns etc etc...

I will post a flow chart showing a synthetic glass filter vs other high flow cellulose filters later today.

Last edited by chrisf695; 03-12-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I run the Amsoil / Donaldson P550832-EA, it uses a higher quality synthetic element with a more uniform and finer structure which allows for more open space per square inch. It's been a few years, but last I checked K&N was still using a cellulose element. The Donaldson element will give you more flow with finer filtration. The model I use is the tall version and holds over 1 1/2 quarts
Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisf695
The taller filter will provide zero benefit. The K&N 3002 is a huge upgrade and designed (pleat count and height wise) for a V-8. Larger filter just adds oil volume, which isn't always a good thing. A longer filter does not equate to better filtration for those following this.
and why wouldn't more volume and a larger filter be a good thing?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh you do realize that we are talking in terms of particles that the human eye can't see right?!
Not necessarily. A person with normal 20/20 vision can see particles as small as 25 microns. Pretty much everybody can see 40 microns. So a nominal 20 micron filter will in fact allow lots of particles the naked eye can see - especially shiny metal particles. Since most filters are 20 micron or larger, you should see particles if they are present.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by apollard
Not necessarily. A person with normal 20/20 vision can see particles as small as 25 microns. Pretty much everybody can see 40 microns. So a nominal 20 micron filter will in fact allow lots of particles the naked eye can see - especially shiny metal particles. Since most filters are 20 micron or larger, you should see particles if they are present.
http://www.nilfiskcfm.com/vacuum-fil...m-filters.aspx

Might want to double check your source. The human eye cannot see 25um....

Great link showing improved flow is possible even when filtering down to 15um. These are diesel filters, however the information from donaldson is relavent to this topic. The filters we have are obviously sized for thd engine in question.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/084768.pdf

Last edited by chrisf695; 03-14-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Registered

The amsoil and Royal purple both use nano fiber (100% glass media) and K&N/Mobil 1 use a polyester/glass mix. The hybrid flows better than a conventional cellulose filter fwiw.

Last edited by chrisf695; 03-13-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

http://www.nilfiskcfm.com/vacuum-fil...m-filters.aspx

Might want to double check your source. The human eye cannot see 25um....
Were we not speaking about particles as large as 60 microns that the Wix Racing filter would let pass ? https://answers.search.yahoo.com/sea...hs-mozilla-002 If you look enough a person can get the internet to say what they want . lol

Last edited by the deep; 03-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Registered

The fact is he stated the human eye can see a 20-25um particle and that is completely FALSE, regardless of your discrediting the source. It's science... The human eye will never be able to perform a particle count.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

The fact is he stated the human eye can see a 20-25um particle and that is completely FALSE, regardless of your discrediting the source. It's science... The human eye will never be able to perform a particle count.
Doesn't change the fact that the information you provided has led me to upgrade my oil filter and for that I thank you .
Old 03-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Registered

Deep,

Re reading my post, I kinda sounded like a dik. No disrespect intended, and I'm glad you made the jump to much improved filtration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.