Carb opinions 540's 700 hp...

Notices

Carb opinions 540's 700 hp...

Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Rehr Morrison makes a 4500 to 4150 flange adapter so don't worry too much about that.
I don't have enough height for that.... Mine now are near max height maybe 1/2" to spare
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

who here has seen what the vaccum is on their said 700hp motors w/ a 4150 at WOT?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I would say you can only recommend him based on reputation at this point without any empirical evidence.

The Quick fuels are really nice units, still confused how they had perfect AFR`s on the dyno for a 1200hp motor and a 1000hp motor out of the box with no changes.
Tim, I`d say you`d be perfectly fine with a QF 1050
Thy`re real preeeeety too

Incorrect. If you were to quote the entire post, it's in the text that the present carb is my second with CFM and the first was a good piece and is still running nicely today. First hand experience.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I'll supply the Dominator for your dyno testing. It just came off a 700 HP 540 that was tuned to 12.5 AFR's. It was ran against an EFI setup for a baseline. It's pretty much new.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are you going to dyno tune the engines tim?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim how many rpm do you plan on spinning this thing?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

6000 rpm...

Dyno if I am done and can afford the carbs, if I run out of money the engines go in with my 800's I till I make more I will not miss boating the last 2 seasons cut short I don't want another short one...
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 4,293 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Incorrect. If you were to quote the entire post, it's in the text that the present carb is my second with CFM and the first was a good piece and is still running nicely today. First hand experience.
Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
the first was little 600 for my small block 306 I had in a little puddle jumper and I didn't have a wide band on the boat nor did I dyno the engine. That said, it was pretty close and only required some fine tuning once in the boat.
You could say that for any out of the box carbs.
If you`re going to recommend somebody (not saying he does bad work) at least have some facts to back it up.. AFR numbers come to mind.
Never mind the fact the small block, small power isn`t going to need any big modification to run nice and it isn`t very relevant what we`re talking about is it.

I guess my standards are a bit higher than "running nicely"
I like to Go Pro my runs at all rpms to see where the air fuel ratio is at .
Dyno runs get you close but thats a wide open scenario which isn`t going to tell anything about cruise AFR`s, hence in boat testing.

Case in point. make changes, record , make changes, record, verify, repeat. Hand signals indicate boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsmwAEFqSXk

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 03-19-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I've tuned many carbs in boats both NA and blown with and without widebands. Dean nickerson was supposed to be the guy for custom marine carbs. On the water with a wideband. Waaay off....on several occasions.

There are entirely too many variables for a guy to set a carb up to have an efi like fuel curve , on a bench. Every single boat is different. Nothing worse then spending a bunch of money for "custom" carbs, and having to go retune them anyway. Most of these guys would have been better with an off the shelf carb that allows fine tuning

I don't know dale at cfm. Have you tuned any of his carbs on the water using a wideband ?
This. The 4 Nickerson-tuned 4150's I've been around suck. Especially for the coin they cost to be modified (not including original purchase price of the carb). Just insanely expensive.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You could say that for any out of the box carbs.
If you`re going to recommend somebody (not saying he does bad work) at least have some facts to back it up.. AFR numbers come to mind.
Never mind the fact the small block, small power isn`t going to need any big modification to run nice and it isn`t very relevant what we`re talking about is it.

I guess my standards are a bit higher than "running nicely"
I like to Go Pro my runs at all rpms to see where the air fuel ratio is at .
Dyno runs get you close but thats a wide open scenario which isn`t going to tell anything about cruise AFR`s, hence in boat testing.

Case in point. make changes, record , make changes, record, verify, repeat. Hand signals indicate boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsmwAEFqSXk
I recommended tim talk to Dale based on my first hand experiences with him. Not up to your standards?
Maybe you have more info on the guy you've never met, done business with or even talked to and have good reason to dissuade tim from talking to him.

I expect the current carb I had done to perform as well as the first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.