Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap? >

Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?

Notices

Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

As its been mentioned above....yes its possible to drill them out....what you need to pay attention to is the alignment of the holes! As you can see from the pics below on a base i just did today....the feed holes are not centered to the tapped holes! I have the luxury of a bridgeport at my disposal at work here so its not a big deal to align things up....but if you get it clamped crooked you can break through the walls very easily. The threaded holes i hogged out with an end mill...they were centered up on the old threads.....then i aligned the feed holes with a 5/16" gauge pin and drilled the 3/8" holes all the way through in one shot. Now just need to tap new threads and paint
Attached Thumbnails Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-1.jpg   Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-2.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That's a lot work since a true 3/8 filter mount is no more than 50 bucks. Just saying plus as I mentioned to the holes are off center and a tad miss on the drilling part jacks the mount up.

can someone post some pics of this. You guys are still way off missing the cork in this mount. You can drill holes big enough to drive a truck thru it but it is not going to change one spot that the hole is still very tiny.

Maybe I can explain it better. the screw in part that is the outlet for the fuel filter. Down towards the base at the bottom of that neck that fuel screws on to. There is your tiny hole leading to the cross section to the outlet fitting side. finally I hope I cleared up this issue.

I have a filter mount OEM stock fuel filter off a Mercruiser 1996 454 to compare against the Sierra brand fuel filter mount plus can show the hole that is the cork in the fuel filter mount that you can not drill out. If anyone still does not understand what I am talking about - I will gladly send or show pics of this and how its a huge waste of time drilling this 1/4 hole fuel filter mount - especially since you can buy the new true 3/8 mount for around 50 bucks. Any takers on the pics showing you the cork ???

Last edited by BUP; 03-30-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

BUP, i have no idea what your talking about.....i took pictures of the one i have in front of me. I used the handle of an x-acto for reference. As you can see the first pic is of the fuel inlet holes that fill the filter...nice and big...no restriction there. The other pictures you can see with and without the x-acto knife handle in the passages....there's not much restricting it there either...so not sure what you referring to...
Attached Thumbnails Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-1.jpg   Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-2.jpg   Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-3.jpg  

Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-4.jpg   Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?-5.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Sure its some work...but i have some free time on my hands at work and i all ready have the mount so i have nothing to loose by modifying it

Old 03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Pics are out of order for some reason but you get the idea

Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Wally yes what you did with your drilling machine running straight completely thru very precisely - opening up the hole that's down in the bottom of the filter screw on portion for the cross section outlet sides. - the hole is almost at the bottom base that feeds the cross section outlet sides down inside the filter screw on portion. Pic # 2. That's the hole that needs to be opened up as well.

Most people are going to put this fuel filter mount in a vice and hand drill one side for outlet and one side for inlet then tap those sides only and leave the other sides plugged stock like it was. That will not open up the hole I am talking about. Hopefully what you did - opened up that hole. Again pic # 2 down inside the filter screw on fuel filter portion feeding the outlet cross section. In your pic it looks like it did open up some in pic # 2 but really not 100 % about it unless it was measured before and after drilling.

Sometimes it hard to describe things to make sense of it all. Kind of like Playboy, the pics are worth a thousands words but the story and that wording - ah who really reads all of that.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Your filter mount looks brand new to,
Old 03-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
As its been mentioned above....yes its possible to drill them out....what you need to pay attention to is the alignment of the holes! As you can see from the pics below on a base i just did today....the feed holes are not centered to the tapped holes! I have the luxury of a bridgeport at my disposal at work here so its not a big deal to align things up....but if you get it clamped crooked you can break through the walls very easily. The threaded holes i hogged out with an end mill...they were centered up on the old threads.....then i aligned the feed holes with a 5/16" gauge pin and drilled the 3/8" holes all the way through in one shot. Now just need to tap new threads and paint
Amen. I'm not sure how I survived before I bought mine. A modest (mill, lathe, saw, TIG) machine shop at home is freakin crucial!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Bup, now i know what your talking about yes drilling ALL THE WAY THROUGH does open up the hole you are talking about….if i has a good extractor here i would pull the threaded nipple out and show everyone the opening….And it looks new because i sandblasted the whole thing. I think i have another filter mount at home in the garage….I'll look for it and show a before/after pics of it all

Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

mark,i would just buy the ones joe has or the ss merc ones,not worth the time to modify the stock one.just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.