Belt drive Cam Retard? >

Belt drive Cam Retard?

Notices

Belt drive Cam Retard?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adk61
I'm curious as to what combination you're using that is so tight in clearance, in order to create this concern...
4.75 stroke crank Callie's ultra xd(xtra clearance) I beam's 55mm cam. Just not going to spin without some extra work.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Jesel says 2-4* of backlash is acceptable.

Have you tried turning it over with a bar and see how much play is there ?
I'm waiting in the belt drive. Using old timing chain setup for mock up purposes. I new going in this was going to be an issue. It's not my first go round with long stroke stuff. I just want to cover all my bases cause I'd rather not have a situation where the motor clearances itself. The cam is degreed where it needs to be I will clearance the rods so it will spin. Then I will back it up 6-7 degrees spin it if all is good I will advance it 6-7 degrees and check clearance. It was recommended by the rod manufacturer to use a long zip tie to measure cam/Rod clearance... Feeler gauge is a no go.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Registered

I will be doing a detailed build thread at some point so I can share with my fellow OSO'ers the joys of building a big cubic inch motor. It's a whole lot of putting together and taking apart.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, is the backlash in a timing chain that is not brand new any less, or more than a belt?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Ok, is the backlash in a timing chain that is not brand new any less, or more than a belt?
The chain set I have (which is very tight) moves the cam as soon as the crank turns. This is using a degree wheel and dial indicator.

Where it gets very interesting with a standard cam core and roller springs is how much the front of the cam turns before the back. When you put any kind of spring pressure on a standard cam it twists it up like a pretzel.

Last edited by Black Baja; 03-30-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked it yet? The XD rod will sometimes clear a 55mm with a 4.75". If it hits, the clearancing will be very minor. Here is the interference on an Oliver rod, which has a bigger shoulder then the Callies. [ATTACH=CONFIG]539260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539261[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539262[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Belt drive Cam Retard?-img_2779.jpg   Belt drive Cam Retard?-img_2787.jpg   Belt drive Cam Retard?-img_2788.jpg  

Old 03-31-2015, 06:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Have you checked it yet? The XD rod will sometimes clear a 55mm with a 4.75". If it hits, the clearancing will be very minor. Here is the interference on an Oliver rod, which has a bigger shoulder then the Callies. [ATTACH=CONFIG]539260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539261[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539262[/ATTACH]
Wow. Looks like the Oliver Rod is close to clearing. Mine isn't even close with the XD rods.