Notices

silencers

Old 04-09-2015, 02:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default silencers

Hi, I just removed all diverters and switched over to thru hull only. I will miss the silent choice so I was thinking about a switchable silencer.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539679[/ATTACH].[ATTACH=CONFIG]539677[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539678[/ATTACH]

The larger silencer is Gil and the smaller is cmi..Both are 4" clamp on

Does anyone know which silencer will fit my boat. I am concerned about the center 2 pipes. Seems like I only have 3 " between them
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails silencers-gil904035a.jpg   silencers-img_silencers_externalsound.jpg   silencers-20150409_144345a_copy.jpg  

Last edited by 35fountain; 04-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '93 Scarab 38 thunder with twin 496 Engines (stock HO, 425 hp). It has the Gil mufflers on it, and yes - they are 3" inside, but it seems like it works. I actually think that these might have been a factory option (since everything else on the boat is bone stock), but I'm not sure. However, the switchable feature has gone south, so I'll have to see what I can do to fix it. They dampen the sound quite a bit even in the "open mode" though: I can have a normal conversation in the cockpit at idle speeds, which is nice in a way...

...but I miss the crisp rumble! I might rebuild these into a switchable external silent choice system instead...

I don't think that any of the suggested mufflers will affect performance, unless you have more than 500 hp per Engine.

Last edited by Furuvagen; 04-15-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: mis-spellings
Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check into the GGB inserts. I put them on my boat and dropped the sound level quite a bit, but still have that BBC rumble. No affect on boat performance.