Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!! >

525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

Notices

525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

we had our 500's rebuilt over the winter...initially had problems with excessive lifter noise. Morel recommended using a lighter weight oil which we did, it didn't end up solving anything. In our situation the lifters needed more preload. Re-set to a full turn or 1.25 turn can't remember, and the noise went away.

We still get a slight tap at cold starts but it goes away once warm which im told is normal for morel lifters. I can only speculate it's either the lifters pumping up or the pre load isn't quite right at cold and is self adjusting when warm (thermal expansion).
Old 09-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
we had our 500's rebuilt over the winter...initially had problems with excessive lifter noise. Morel recommended using a lighter weight oil which we did, it didn't end up solving anything. In our situation the lifters needed more preload. Re-set to a full turn or 1.25 turn can't remember, and the noise went away.

We still get a slight tap at cold starts but it goes away once warm which im told is normal for morel lifters. I can only speculate it's either the lifters pumping up or the pre load isn't quite right at cold and is self adjusting when warm (thermal expansion).
The lifter plunger oil chamber, is going to bleed off oil when engine is sitting with lifter at open on cam lobe, with spring pressure.... Yes the Morel like a tad over 1 turn, if I'm not mistaken all the plungers are long travel.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I run HI Rev Morels, i225# open/575... straight 50 weight Brad Penn. No issues.
Morel, did only recommend 20w50 max on the first style of Hi revs... Since you have no issues, that's good news.... My thoughts on running the Hi Rev, used them only on 2 builds..... customer wanted hydraulic, if I'm going to turn some rpms, with bigger lobes, and use over 225# on the seat closed, I prefer; using a low lash solid....
Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just got my first 2 sets of Johnson Lifters from Marine Kinetics..they are going into a 525 EFI, with a cam change, Isky, springs Lightweight chromoly retainers, CNC modified throttle body, modified upper intake plenum.... Using the Holley HP EFI, Changed valve seat angles and blending of bowls.

Measured up the Johnson Lifter body, sizing all the same dimensional on body. I noticed; a strong smell of solvent on lifters, not really oil. But could be a type of light- weight oil. I'll have to ask Bob, you can soak lifters all day long... the oil is only going to find its way into the wheel unless you are going to try pumping them by hand. As I stated before, if you are going to prime engine and all lifters the oil has to flow out of the pushrod or rocker arms of all 16. I would also be applying a hi pressure grease or assy lube to both ends of pushrods and oiling rocker arm trunion bearings and tips, this is where the squeaking noise is coming from.

I just measured all the lifters bores on both engine blocks they all measure from .0018-.0021 clearance / out of roundness is about .0002-.0003. Not bad for production blocks, that had over 500hrs on them..... So many over-look lifter to bore clearance, I've seen some GEN 5/6 blocks have over .0025 clearance on lifter, I have had to lifter true and install bushings...
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Good info as usual mark !
Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 4,318 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I figured Morel may want lighter oil than the 50 weight I`m using since the lifters are also going into automotive applications where the starting temps may be significantly lower than my application. Don`t really boat below 70* ambient.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
I just measured all the lifters bores on both engine blocks they all measure from .0018-.0021 clearance / out of roundness is about .0002-.0003. Not bad for production blocks, that had over 500hrs on them..... So many over-look lifter to bore clearance, I've seen some GEN 5/6 blocks have over .0025 clearance on lifter, I have had to lifter true and install bushings...
I learned this year lifter bores are one very important measurement, make sure the desired spec is a good number also, I found out the hard way
Old 09-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I learned this year lifter bores are one very important measurement, make sure the desired spec is a good number also, I found out the hard way
Interesting
Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Sure is, you wanna fire that up again?

you act like it was not measured, guess who said my numbers were ok??? yep... leave it be

BTW, I am so dumb seems I been boating every weekend with no issues.... man I can't build engines at all.... did you boat this year? lol
Originally Posted by Black Baja
Interesting

Last edited by Full Force; 09-27-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Sure is, you wanna fire that up again?

you act like it was not measured, guess who said my numbers were ok??? yep... leave it be

BTW, I am so dumb seems I been boating every weekend with no issues.... man I can't build engines at all.... did you boat this year? lol
Nothing to fire up. You explained it well . Did my boating in the Indian Ocean this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.