525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!! >

525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

Notices

525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

Old 05-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

So I did the top end refresh on my '04 525. Rebuilt heads, Isky springs, scorpion rockers and Johnson lifters. I primed the oil pump while turning the motor over before starting it. It fired right up and sounds great with the exception of a noisy #1 cylinder valve train. So I pulled the valve cover to find that on my intake on #1 I can lift the rocker of the spring and push the pushrod down a 1/8" or so while the valve is shut. This means collapsed lifter correct? I don't think I should be able to push that down. Just making sure Im not missing something, so much for tearing up the Mississippi today
Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Let it idle for awhile. I can't explain it but it is not uncommon for a lifter to take a long time to pump up and quiet down.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you soak the lifters in oil for a day prior to assembly?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Did you soak the lifters in oil for a day prior to assembly?
That is VERY important. I just did my top ends as well and had some squeaks too until everything got pumped up with oil. Running at 2000 rpm for short bursts helped.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Registered

I didn't soak them, just coated them in assembly lube during installation. I primed the oil pump as well while turning the motor over by hand thinking that should fill everything. I only let it run for a minute or less a couple times, maybe it just needed some more time?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by River Ratt
I didn't soak them, just coated them in assembly lube during installation. I primed the oil pump as well while turning the motor over by hand thinking that should fill everything. I only let it run for a minute or less a couple times, maybe it just needed some more time?
That is most likely your issue. The lifter is not filled with oil and thats why it's collapsing easily and why it's making a noise. They really should be submerged in oil for at least a full day before installing them. Did you adjust the lash on all valves?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Registered

Yep, I've heard soaking is a good idea but totally forgot about it, damn. I adjusted all the lash. I'm thinking some more priming is in order and then giving it another run before taking the intake back off. It worked for the other 15 lifters but of course there's always one
Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by River Ratt
Yep, I've heard soaking is a good idea but totally forgot about it, damn. I adjusted all the lash. I'm thinking some more priming is in order and then giving it another run before taking the intake back off. It worked for the other 15 lifters but of course there's always one
I think if you really prime it a lot and then run it on idle for while, periodically boosting RPM to like 2000 for short bursts, you will fill the lifter. I was getting a squeak that was driving me crazy. sounded like it was coming from the back of the engine but when you got closer the sound seemed to move... Took the belt off to rule out accessories... thought it might be an exhaust leak, ruled that out. then thought it might be a vacuum leak... ruled that out.... then ran the engine for short bursts at 2000 RPM to get it hotter than idle and the squeak disappeared. It was most likely a lifter that just wasn't filled enough and once the oil got hotter, it stopped.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Registered

Had a fun successful summer with the boat, hopefully you did as well. My lifter noise went away like you said after letting it warm up a little, thanks. Then some lifter noise came back, I thought it was an small exhaust leak so I kind of ignored it, I couldn't hear it unless I opened the hatch and turned the tunes down. While winterizing I pulled my port valve cover to find a lifter that isn't pumped up solid, Im able to push the push rod down a tad (1/8" or less). My question is what oil do you run? I talked to Bob Madera this morning and he said the 25W40 I'm running is much to thick for these Johnson lifters and thats most likely my problem. I was just following the specs from the manual. Me and him also made a connection last spring, I believe he was working with you the same time I was ordering from him and calling him daily for questions, small world. I told him I'd call him back to go over everything again so I can work this out, he gets pretty technical so it may take a call or two lol
Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Soak them in 5-30 synthetic mobil 1. It is thinner and will fill faster and coats the internals....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.