525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!! >

525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

Notices

525 EFI refresh lifter issue!!!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by River Ratt
Had a fun successful summer with the boat, hopefully you did as well. My lifter noise went away like you said after letting it warm up a little, thanks. Then some lifter noise came back, I thought it was an small exhaust leak so I kind of ignored it, I couldn't hear it unless I opened the hatch and turned the tunes down. While winterizing I pulled my port valve cover to find a lifter that isn't pumped up solid, Im able to push the push rod down a tad (1/8" or less). My question is what oil do you run? I talked to Bob Madera this morning and he said the 25W40 I'm running is much to thick for these Johnson lifters and thats most likely my problem. I was just following the specs from the manual. Me and him also made a connection last spring, I believe he was working with you the same time I was ordering from him and calling him daily for questions, small world. I told him I'd call him back to go over everything again so I can work this out, he gets pretty technical so it may take a call or two lol
25w40 too thick? Thats a mercury spec'd oil grade.

I would remove the lifter assembly, and send it to johnson. Have you called johnson direct?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I been running 20-50 in mine all summer no issues, I did have Johnson increase oiling to my rockers because I wanted to cover my azz in early spring conditions, Randy at Johnson was the guy that helped me out with my questions, very smart guy, I am almost positive he said 20-50 oil is fine even without increased oiling to rockers but I honestly can't remember. I run big clearances across the board so I need the thicker oil....
Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a fun successful summer with the boat, hopefully you did as well. My lifter noise went away like you said after letting it warm up a little, thanks. Then some lifter noise came back, I thought it was an small exhaust leak so I kind of ignored it, I couldn't hear it unless I opened the hatch and turned the tunes down. While winterizing I pulled my port valve cover to find a lifter that isn't pumped up solid, Im able to push the push rod down a tad (1/8" or less). My question is what oil do you run? I talked to Bob Madera this morning and he said the 25W40 I'm running is much to thick for these Johnson lifters and thats most likely my problem. I was just following the specs from the manual. Me and him also made a connection last spring, I believe he was working with you the same time I was ordering from him and calling him daily for questions, small world. I told him I'd call him back to go over everything again so I can work this out, he gets pretty technical so it may take a call or two lol
Hydraulic lifters will lose their prime after they sit for awhile and will collapse if you try to compress them by hand. If you start the motor and run it a little it should pump right back up. If you run the motor and try to compress the lifter by hand again and it collapses you have a bad lifter. I've ran straight 40 even 50 with hydraulic lifters and never had an issue.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, great summer, thanks. Bob is a great guy... extremely knowledgeable and always willing to help. I had a collapsed lifter on one motor about a month or so ago, but that was most likely the result of too much spring pressure from the springs I used when I did the top ends in the spring. I will be changing the springs again this winter to a spring with less seat pressure. I used to use the Merc. Synthetic Blend 25W50 oil but I just started using Valvoline VR-1 Racing Conventional 20W50. Probably only have one or two more runs and then I'm done for the season. So sad..
Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

the johnsons will take a chitload of pressure, ask me how I know?? sure it's a spring pressure issue?

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Yes, great summer, thanks. Bob is a great guy... extremely knowledgeable and always willing to help. I had a collapsed lifter on one motor about a month or so ago, but that was most likely the result of too much spring pressure from the springs I used when I did the top ends in the spring. I will be changing the springs again this winter to a spring with less seat pressure. I used to use the Merc. Synthetic Blend 25W50 oil but I just started using Valvoline VR-1 Racing Conventional 20W50. Probably only have one or two more runs and then I'm done for the season. So sad..
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Johnson lifters in my 525 refresh. Have right around 50 hours over 2 seasons, use 25W50 and no issues. Engines run great.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered

Witnessed the same things happen to morels. Of course the oil viscosity was blamed to be the cause. Same thing happened again, with thinner oil.

I know several local guys running straight 50 oil in their Hi-RPM version of the morels, with no issues at all, although they say 5w40 is the max viscosity. And these arent 500hp engines , talking 1000hp engines in big heavy vee bottoms that get the snot ran out of them every weekend.

Having never used a johnson lifter, are they like a morel, in the aspect of being noisy too little preload? Every set of engines i been around with the morels seem noisy unless they have about a full turn on a 7/16-20 poly lock nut past zero lash.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I run a half turn on my Johnson lifters I don't recall hearing any noise at all actually
Old 09-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
I run a half turn on my Johnson lifters I don't recall hearing any noise at all actually
Whats the plunger travel distance on a johnson? If i remember right, the morels have .143 of travel.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Here's a very good article on hyd lifters, their components, and how it all works, including bleed down and etc:
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...d-lifters-101/

Note: bottom picture is animated, give it a few to get moving. Provides a good visual.

Last edited by SB; 09-25-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.