Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do I set timing with no marks on crank? >

How do I set timing with no marks on crank?

Notices

How do I set timing with no marks on crank?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I sometimes wonder where you come up with the stuff you post or if you drink heavily after 5pm.

I have the Innova and it works great.

Get 5 adjustable timing lights and time a motor. Move the timing all over the place. What you will find with an adjustable light the more you advance you give the light the more it will be off. I have a bunch of timing lights over $600 in one. The best one I have is an old beat up craftsman that looks like it's from the 60's. I'll use an adjustable light on stock motors but thats about it. If you played around with motors that completely melt down with 1-2 degrees more timing faster than you can blink your eyes you might understand. But if your just happy running around trying to look cool with a pair of motors that smoke like freight trains and putting shinny puke tanks on to compensate for improper honing/ ring selection you will never understand.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Get 5 adjustable timing lights and time a motor. Move the timing all over the place. What you will find with an adjustable light the more you advance you give the light the more it will be off. I have a bunch of timing lights over $600 in one. The best one I have is an old beat up craftsman that looks like it's from the 60's. I'll use an adjustable light on stock motors but thats about it. If you played around with motors that completely melt down with 1-2 degrees more timing faster than you can blink your eyes you might understand. But if your just happy running around trying to look cool with a pair of motors that smoke like freight trains and putting shinny puke tanks on to compensate for improper honing/ ring selection you will never understand.
Confused?? BB are you saying that these fancy timing lights are Accurate on a stock engine and Inaccurate on any other engine? Or are you saying they work good with some ignition systems and not so good with other systems?

Also what do puke tanks have to do with timing?

Last edited by abones; 05-28-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

You can also measure your balancer and degree it out yourself. Did that on my Gen 6 and marked it at 34* as a ref point. Turned out, that's exactly where it was happy.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
Confused?? BB are you saying that these fancy timing lights are Accurate on a stock engine and Inaccurate on any other engine? Or are you saying they work good with some ignition systems and not so good with other systems?

Also what do puke tanks have to do with timing?
Puke tanks have nothing to do with timing lights. Just trying to help Dan understand that he will probably not understand. Yes the adjustable lights are inaccurate. Sorry if I'm not clear I'm exhausted. With a stock motor you don't have the compression you do with a max effort NA or blown motor. With the lower compression stuff if you set the timing at 30 and it's actually 33 it's highly unlikely it's going to melt down. I've spent lots and lots of time around nitrous motors. My experiences working on these types of motor has made me extremely paranoid when it comes down to ignition timing. Some of them have 0 degrees of timing when the juice comes on. 1 degree of timing in something like that can be $100,000 mistake. Knowing your timing light , true TDC are extremely important. I one adjustable light that will give you a different number every time you use it up to 8 degree difference without ever touching the distributor.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Black Baja;4310078]Puke tanks have nothing to do with timing lights. Just trying to help Dan understand that he will probably not understand. Yes the adjustable lights are inaccurate. Sorry if I'm not clear I'm exhausted. With a stock motor you don't have the compression you do with a max effort NA or blown motor. With the lower compression stuff if you set the timing at 30 and it's actually 33 it's highly unlikely it's going to melt down. I've spent lots and lots of time around nitrous motors. My experiences working on these types of motor has made me extremely paranoid when it comes down to ignition timing. Some of them have 0 degrees of timing when the juice comes on. 1 degree of timing in something like that can be $100,000 mistake. Knowing your timing light , true TDC are extremely important. I one adjustable light that will give you a different number every time you use it up to 8 degree difference without ever touching the distributor.[/QUOTE

Oh well then I must be a lucky guy, cause I have run blown NOS engines in my boat in the past timed them with an adjustable light and have not detonated them, I used the same light on my 12.5:1 NA Camaro engine, my 427 corvette engine, my nasty little 302 cougar engine, without a hitch must have bought a more accurate one than most!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Ditto, but my Craftsman is from the early 80's.

It stopped a lot of our Nitrous melt downs. I thus then left the Snap On Digital at the shop (reg car repairs).

Word has it that it was because of the bulb, not just the electronics ? So said some big timing light test many moons ago. Dunno:
Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Okay, same subject.

Good conversation.

Who makes sure their pointer points at true 0 ?

That said, timing tape can be put on such the pointer doesn't have to be moved or replaced with an adjustable one.

But, if you use a balancer with marks already etc'd in it - then an adjustable pointer is usually a must.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Registered

I might have time to work on my boat this weekend and I will run a test with my adjustable light back to back with my old school "regular" light and will post the results when completed...
Old 05-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Okay, same subject.

Good conversation.

Who makes sure their pointer points at true 0 ?

That said, timing tape can be put on such the pointer doesn't have to be moved or replaced with an adjustable one.

But, if you use a balancer with marks already etc'd in it - then an adjustable pointer is usually a must.
I use timing tape installed after the cam has been degreed, and true TDC has been located.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=abones;4310084]
Puke tanks have nothing to do with timing lights. Just trying to help Dan understand that he will probably not understand. Yes the adjustable lights are inaccurate. Sorry if I'm not clear I'm exhausted. With a stock motor you don't have the compression you do with a max effort NA or blown motor. With the lower compression stuff if you set the timing at 30 and it's actually 33 it's highly unlikely it's going to melt down. I've spent lots and lots of time around nitrous motors. My experiences working on these types of motor has made me extremely paranoid when it comes down to ignition timing. Some of them have 0 degrees of timing when the juice comes on. 1 degree of timing in something like that can be $100,000 mistake. Knowing your timing light , true TDC are extremely important. I one adjustable light that will give you a different number every time you use it up to 8 degree difference without ever touching the distributor.[/QUOTE

Oh well then I must be a lucky guy, cause I have run blown NOS engines in my boat in the past timed them with an adjustable light and have not detonated them, I used the same light on my 12.5:1 NA Camaro engine, my 427 corvette engine, my nasty little 302 cougar engine, without a hitch must have bought a more accurate one than most!
Have you ever tried playing the lottery? If not you should give it a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.