Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do I set timing with no marks on crank? >

How do I set timing with no marks on crank?

Notices

How do I set timing with no marks on crank?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=Black Baja;4310098]
Originally Posted by abones

Have you ever tried playing the lottery? If not you should give it a go.
I do play the lottery not so lucky there! (yet)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Decent article by MSD years back with some decent 'timing light' tech tips too:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/tech...-lights-1.html
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Ditto, but my Craftsman is from the early 80's.

It stopped a lot of our Nitrous melt downs. I thus then left the Snap On Digital at the shop (reg car repairs).

Word has it that it was because of the bulb, not just the electronics ? So said some big timing light test many moons ago. Dunno:

Yeah I thought the snap on digital was the cats meow when it came out. Had to have it. Now it just sits. Don't even no where it is POS.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

these posts are messed up! I didn't post that time to get some sleep
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
I might have time to work on my boat this weekend and I will run a test with my adjustable light back to back with my old school "regular" light and will post the results when completed...
If you want to give it a hot tune I have a Matco light you can borrow. Better yet have. It's adjustable. Junk.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Okay, same subject.

Good conversation.

Who makes sure their pointer points at true 0 ?

That said, timing tape can be put on such the pointer doesn't have to be moved or replaced with an adjustable one.

But, if you use a balancer with marks already etc'd in it - then an adjustable pointer is usually a must.
I'm all about checking, re-checking and re-checking the re-check for true tdc. Dial indicators, feeler gauges and whatever else I can get my hands on to find TDC. I'm a big fanatic about that.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

"Who makes sure their pointer points at true 0 ?"

On every engine ever done by or for me. Gotta know what you are starting with or you are just shooting in the dark and hoping. This methodology goes for way more than finding true TDC and aligning the pointer.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
If you get a timing tape, make sure you get one for the correct size balancer. There are a few different diameter balancers out there and you need a timing tape to match the diameter that you have.
Eddie
oh crap is that why my sheet sheet of timing tapes has different tapes/stickers on it?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great discussion, I have been wrapping my head around this challenge for a year, if I had any sense I would have ensure my mark was accurate when motor was out.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Get 5 adjustable timing lights and time a motor. Move the timing all over the place. What you will find with an adjustable light the more you advance you give the light the more it will be off. I have a bunch of timing lights over $600 in one. The best one I have is an old beat up craftsman that looks like it's from the 60's. I'll use an adjustable light on stock motors but thats about it. If you played around with motors that completely melt down with 1-2 degrees more timing faster than you can blink your eyes you might understand. But if your just happy running around trying to look cool with a pair of motors that smoke like freight trains and putting shinny puke tanks on to compensate for improper honing/ ring selection you will never understand.
FWIW your not soppose to use a digital timing light on msd.. i use the one that clips on # 1 and thats it..it takes d batterys to power it..also i do have this one and a snapon which look the same and they both work the same..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.