Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to get a little heat with crossovers...? >

How to get a little heat with crossovers...?

Notices

How to get a little heat with crossovers...?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Tim, I was just looking at a photo of your engines. Have you considered simply installing a thermostat, with a bypass hose on your setup? Since you have the bypass's already. Make sure you get the high flow robert shaw style stats with the holes in them already.

Robert shaw,,dont you mean the ranco ones??????
Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Tim, call Eddie Young. He recommended a certain stat housing that had an internal bypass mechanism but I cant remember who makes it.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Tim, you can buy the stats I was talking about here. They can be had with the holes in them already.

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...tegory&path=61
Old 05-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a thermostat housing off a hp 500, ill donate. so with BB's water pump and if he that housing and big boats pulleys. your just a water pump away.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since aluminum conducts heat better than cast iron, does it make the situation with valve guide clearance better or worse?
Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moroso makes a kit with 3 different size washers in it to restrict water flow. they are cheap
Old 05-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

I believe my system is similar to S30's. Stainless Marine crossovers: I have 1 or 2 holes in my 140 thermostat, rear of the intakes dirlled out 1/8"NPT, and crossovers with the bypass. (I had to drill and tap my crossover to add the baypass) As you can see I take my water pressure at the intake and temp at the thermostat. Runs about 120*F idle and ~145*F at 6000RPM.
Attached Thumbnails How to get a little heat with crossovers...?-twins.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
When fixing engines and in June yes it's a cost thing... I am willing to spend what's availible and I did all winter I'm tapped guys, I will not miss a season that's just how I am, I will fix this and it will be ok I am sure I know where the 2 main causes are and I am addressig it
Completely understand man! I decided to lose a whole season retrofitting my scarab with kaama surface drives and hopefully EFI. I am already regretting it and it's only June! Good luck with getting her back together!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Ifyou are not already - check your water psi !
Definitely do Tim. On my old boat I went with the crossover with bypass and could never get any water pressure. I know of atleast 2 others local to me that had these same issues, both ended up adding external pickups to get water pressure, and unfortunately the one guy it cost a few, yes, a few motors (his were blower motors, and were getting steam pockets due to not having enough water pressure to get good circulations through the block. He added external pickups and dumps in the rear of the intake which fixed his issue). My thought always was that with this set up there isn't a whole lot of resistance forcing water into the block, and with the 1" bypass the water would just go the route of least resistance, so right through the bypass and out the exhaust resulting in a very weak flow in the block. I played and played untill I finally just pulled the tstat and blocked the crossover ports and ran a traditional crossover set up. I tested this by using compression pliers to restrict the bypass, and it literally took me damn near pinching that bypaass closed to get water pressure. Im not sure if you have a water pressure gauge in the boat or not, but definitely want to add one if you don't.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I never had water pressure gauges but I am adding them this year especially if stats are going in, like unsaid this setup have been run for years, just trying to fine tune things....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.