I've always had my other boats done but this one
should be easy, with closed cooling and the drain
system. Any pointers? The board was a great help
with the 496 oil change, so much better explained
by people who have done it. Thanks in advance,JC
Old 09-17-2002, 12:35 PM
hoodlum

Hey JC,

I'm guessing that you own a carpet shop on Elizabeth Lk. Rd? I live not to far from there at all. Pass by the shop and boat (when you have it wedged in there) every day on my way to work.

Looks like a group of us are going to do a run on Sat. You interested?

Old 09-17-2002, 12:38 PM
hoodlum

Sorry, thought I was in the GD area!

Old 09-17-2002, 04:52 PM
FindMe

Cold Weather And Extended Storage
IMPORTANT: Mercury MerCruiser strongly recommends that this service should be performed by an
authorized Mercury MerCruiser dealer. Damage caused by freezing IS NOT covered by the Mercury Mer-
Cruiser Limited Warranty.
CAUTION
Sterndrive unit should be stored in the full DOWN position. Universal joint bellows may develop a “set”if unit is stored in raised position and may fail when unit is returned to service.
IMPORTANT: Mercury MerCruiser recommends that propylene glycol antifreeze (a nontoxic and environmentally safe antifreeze) be used in the seawater section of the cooling system for cold weather or extended storage. Ensure that the propylene glycol antifreeze contains a rust inhibitor and is recommended for use in marine engines. Be certain to follow the propylene glycol manufacturer’s recommendations.
CAUTION
The seawater section of the cooling system MUST BE COMPLETELY drained for winter storage, or immediately after cold weather use, if the possibility of freezing temperatures exist. Failure to comply may result in trapped water causing freeze and/or corrosion damage to the engine. Damage caused by freezing is NOT covered by the Mercury MerCruiser Limited Warranty.
Preparing Your Power Package For Storage
1 Fill the fuel tanks with fresh gasoline (that does not contain alcohol) and a sufficient amount of Mercury Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer to treat the gasoline. Follow instructions on the container. 2 If the boat is to be placed in storage with fuel containing alcohol in fuel tanks (if fuel without alcohol is not available): Fuel tanks should be drained as low as possible and Quicksilver Gasoline Stabilizer for Marine Engines added to any fuel remaining in the tank.
NOTE: If desired, a portable fuel tank can be used to perform the remainder of the power package lay up procedures.
Be sure to add an appropriate amount of Gasoline Stabilizer to the portable tank.
3 Flush the cooling system.
4 Change the oil and oil filter.
FUEL SYSTEM
WARNING
The fuel injection system is pressurized. Avoid serious injury from an explosion. Use care when
removing water separating fuel filter. Allow engine to cool down before removing the water separating fuel filter. Also, hold a clean shop towel over the water separating fuel filter when removing it, to help avoid fuel spraying on the engine.
WARNING
Fuel vapors can be present in the engine compartment. Avoid injury or power package damage caused by fuel vapors or explosion. Always ventilate the engine compartment prior to servicing the power package.
1 In a 6 U.S. gal (23 liter) remote fuel tank mix:
A 5 U.S. gal (19 liter) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline
B 2 U.S. qts. (1.89 liter) Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard Oil
C 5 ounces (150ml) Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer or 30 ml (1 ounce) Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate.
Description Where Used Part Number Mercury Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer
Fuel System 92-802875A1
Mercury Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate Fuel System 92-802876A1
Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard Oil Fuel System 92-802824A1
2 Allow the engine to cool down.
3 Activate the Schrader valve to relieve fuel pressure.
4 Close the fuel shut-off valve, if equipped. Disconnect and plug the fuel inlet fitting if not equipped with a fuel shut-off valve.
5 Connect the remote fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the fuel inlet fitting.
IMPORTANT: Supply cooling water to the engine.
6 Start and operate the engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
7 After specified operating time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off.
IMPORTANT: Ensure that some fogging mixture remains in the engine. Do NOT allow the engine’s fuel system to become completely dry.
8 Remove and discard the water separating fuel filter.
9 Install a new filter.Store boat with drive unit in full DOWN/IN position.
Draining Instructions
NOTE: If recommended coolant is unavailable, any type of ethylene glycol based antifreeze may be used, but it will require replacement every two years.
IMPORTANT: Drain seawater section of closed cooling system only.
IMPORTANT: Boat must be as level as possible to ensure complete draining of cooling system.
CAUTION
Seawater section of cooling system MUST BE COMPLETELY drained for winter storage or immediately after cold weather use if the possibility of freezing temperatures exist. Failure to comply may result in trapped water causing freeze and/or corrosion damage to engine. Damage caused by freezing IS NOT covered by the Mercury MerCruiser Limited Warranty.
CAUTION
If engine will be exposed to freezing temperatures, ensure closed cooling section is filled with an ethylene glycol antifreeze and water solution properly mixed to protect engine to lowest temperature to which it will be exposed.
IMPORTANT: Closed cooling section must be kept filled year-round with recommended coolant.
IMPORTANT: Do not use Propylene Glycol Antifreeze in the closed cooling section of the engine.
CAUTION Ensure that boat is out of the water or seacock is closed and that bilge pump is operating. Excess water in the bilge can damage engine or cause boat to sink.
Flushing Cooling System
Your boat could come equipped with one of three different types of water pickups: through the hull, through the transom and through the sterndrive. The flushing procedures for these systems are separated into two categories: sterndrive water pickups and alternative water pickups. Consult your authorized Mercury MerCruiser dealer for further explanation.
Sterndrive Water Pickups There are three types of water pickups available on Mercury MerCruiser sterndrives: low water, dual water and side pickups. Dual water pickups require the flushing attachment (44357Q2) and the flush seal kit (881150Q1),
low water pickups require the flushing attachment (849996T1) and side pickups require the flushing attachment
(44357Q2).

page 2>>>

Last edited by FindMe; 09-17-2002 at 05:02 PM.

Old 09-17-2002, 04:58 PM
FindMe

Dual Water Pickup...................... Low Water Pickup.......................... Side Pickup
NOTE: Flushing is needed only for salty, brackish, mineral laden or polluted water applications. Flushing is recommended after each outing for best results.
1 If flushing cooling system with boat in water:
A Raise drive unit to TRAILER position.
B Install appropriate flushing attachment over water intake openings in the gear housing.
C Lower drive unit to full DOWN/IN position.
2 If flushing cooling system with boat out of water:
A Lower drive unit to full DOWN/IN position.
WARNING
Contact with moving drive components and the propeller can cause personal injury or death. To avoid possible injury , remove the propeller and ensure that no people or animals are in the area of the drive unit while flushing.
B Remove propeller.
C Install Quicksilver flushing attachment (or equivalent) over water intake openings in gear housing.
3 Connect hose between flushing attachment and water source.
4 With drive unit in normal operating position, partially open water source (about 1/2 maximum).
5 Place drive in NEUTRAL, idle speed position and start engine.
CAUTION
Suction created by the seawater pickup pump may collapse the flushing water hose causing the
engine to overheat. Avoid engine damage from overheating, DO NOT operate the engine above 1500
rpm.
6 Slowly advance throttle until engine reaches 1300 rpm (+/–100 rpm).
CAUTION
Engine overheating can cause engine damage. To avoid, observe the water temperature gauge and
ensure the engine is operating in the normal range.
7 Observe the water temperature gauge to ensure the engine is operating in the normal range.
8 Operate engine with drive in NEUTRAL for about 5 minutes or until discharge water is clear.
9 Slowly return throttle to idle speed position.
10Stop engine.
11 Shut off water and remove flushing attachment.
Alternative Water Pickups
NOTE: Flushing is needed only for salty, brackish, mineral laden or polluted water applications. Flushing is recommended after each outing for best results.
1 If flushing cooling system with boat in water:
A Raise drive unit to TRAILER position.
B Install appropriate flushing attachment over the water intake openings in the gear housing.
C Lower drive unit to full DOWN/IN position.
2 If flushing cooling system with boat out of water:
A Lower drive unit to full DOWN/IN position.
WARNING
Contact with moving drive components and the propeller can cause personal injury or death. To avoid possible injury , remove the propeller and ensure that no people or animals are in the area of the drive unit while flushing.
B Remove propeller.
C Install Quicksilver flushing attachment (or equivalent) over water intake openings in gear housing.
3 Connect hose between flushing attachment and water source.
4 Disconnect the water inlet hose (upper hose) from the aft side of the seawater pump.
5 Using a suitable adapter, connect the flushing hose from the water source to the water inlet of the sea pump.
CAUTION
Overheating from insufficient cooling water will cause engine and drive system damage. Ensure that
there is sufficient water always available at water inlet holes during operation.
6 With drive unit in normal operating position, partially open the two water sources (about 1/2 maximum).
7 Place drive in NEUTRAL, idle speed position and start engine.
CAUTION
Suction created by the seawater pickup pump may collapse the flushing water hose causing the
engine to overheat. Avoid engine damage from overheating, DO NOT operate the engine above 1500
rpm.
8 Slowly advance throttle until engine reaches 1300 rpm (+/–100 rpm).
CAUTION
Engine overheating can cause engine damage. To avoid, observe the water temperature gauge and
ensure the engine is operating in the normal range.
9 Observe the water temperature gauge to ensure the engine is operating in the normal range.
10Operate engine with drive in NEUTRAL for about 5 minutes or until discharge water is clear.
11 Slowly return throttle to idle speed position.
12Stop engine.
13Shut off water and remove flushing attachments.
14Install the water inlet hose to the aft side of the seawater pump.
15Tighten the hose clamp securely.
CA115

Old 09-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood, thats me where you goin?

Findme thanks for the detailed info.
Hoodlum, what do you mean wedged?
Plenty of room. Where you going? I live on cass
and the boat is in the water there, I'll be out Sat.
if its nice. Goin to kid rock fri and staying downtown
so I wont be out to early, stop in and say hi if the
vette or tahoe is here, the camaro is my assistants.
J.C.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:00 AM
FindMe

My pleasure... hope it helps

Old 09-20-2002, 09:39 AM
hoodlum

Default Re: hood, thats me where you goin?

Originally posted by fountain27ho496
Findme thanks for the detailed info.
Hoodlum, what do you mean wedged?
Plenty of room. Where you going? I live on cass
and the boat is in the water there, I'll be out Sat.
if its nice. Goin to kid rock fri and staying downtown
so I wont be out to early, stop in and say hi if the
vette or tahoe is here, the camaro is my assistants.
J.C.

JC,

My boat usually stays on Union. We do get out to Cass every now and again.

Goin with a bunch of OSOers on a St. Clair fun run tomorrow. We're meeting at the back of Metro at noon. Check out the Lake St. Clair Boaters thread in the general discussion area.

I'll stop in next time I see one of your vehicles there.

Scott

Old 09-20-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry I'll miss that one..

Have fun, I guess I could drag the boat
downtown and hit the water in the morn.
yeah right, Have to small water it sat,
laterJ.C.