Fuel delivery issue, I think? >

Fuel delivery issue, I think?

Notices

Fuel delivery issue, I think?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel delivery issue, I think?

Took the boat out for its first ride of the year on Sunday. Been busy and the weather horrible

Boat is a 1992 Sea Ray 200
350 w thunderbolt ignition
Alpha one Outdrive

Pre-Run I put a new water / fuel filter on (Sierra Brand).
Checked all fluids
Cleaned out the fine fuel filter that goes into the body of the Carb.
Started it on the hose, and ran fine.

We were out for 3 hours just out cruising, it ran fine, no hesitation or indications. We stopped for a bit. Start it up and it idles fine. Start to get on plane it and wants to hesitate for a second then takes off and drives fine for about 45 minutes.

As we were cruising, it just flat dies, no warning, Try to start it, it won't start, even with the it choked it would chug for a second then die. I pulled the filters again, the fuel/ water poured into a bottle and it looked fine, pulled the filter going into the carb and it had a few small particles but nothing major. Put them all back on and tried again. Still won't even turn over. Sprayed some ether down the carb, and it would run, but as soon as the ether was gone, it would die.

I'm thinking fuel pump, its the mechanical style that mounts to the block by the fuel / water housing. Someone told me at the dock that you'll start to see some particles and stuff in that fine screen from the diaphragms going bad if the pump is - were going bad. Which I've noticed but never crossed my mind as to it being that, just figured it was just some crap in the tank. I haven't disconnected the fuel line from the carb and try to crank it to see if fuel comes out.

If it were spark related it wouldn't even fire on starting fluid??

Just grabbing for straws and get ideas as to what it might be.

Thanks

Pic from that day
Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you might have some water in the fuel.it does not take a lot to clog the fuel filter.change it and test run it again.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Registered

Should of added in there.

Put 35 gallons of fuel in the day before from gas station not on the water. I can't remember the fuel capacity off the top of my head, so I'm not sure what was laying in it over the winter.
I do use the ethanol sta bil for over the winter.
It sits inside if its not on the water.

I changed the fuel / water filter right after it stopped initially.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I've replaced three mech fuel pumps this week , must be a bug going around...
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Registered

Am I wrong in thinking that when a fuel pump goes out, it floods the carb making it run very rich almost like bogging it down??? This just seemed like someone shut off the fuel completely.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrant
Am I wrong in thinking that when a fuel pump goes out, it floods the carb making it run very rich almost like bogging it down??? This just seemed like someone shut off the fuel completely.
Never seen one do that. Always does just what you see - no fuel.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the vent hose is for in case the diaphragm leaks, it will push into the carb. but rarely happens. the flapper valves blow out and it just doesn't pump most of the time. check the screen on the bottom of the fuel pick up in the tank. or you could have the float needle in the carb plugged up.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Put a gauge on it and see if you're getting gas. You'll know pretty quick.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrant
If a pump doesn't pump, it doesn't pump. You need to check if it pumps.

Keep pushing accelerator pump on carb until no fuel squirts out. Crank engine for 10-15 seconds. Push on accelerator pump, if it still doesn't squirt, the carb is not filling with fuel.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice.

I checked it this weekend.
Fuel pump it was. Took the line going into carb off, let it crank and nothing came out of the line going into the carb body.

Got to get a pump, is there anything specific with fuel pumps from one to the other as far as marine is concerned. I want something good that I don't have to worry about.

Next mission is trying to figure out how to stand upside down so I can get it off.