What happened to the beeper >

What happened to the beeper

Notices

What happened to the beeper

Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts
Default What happened to the beeper

Talking about my Formula with the 502. Originally had a MEFI-1 and a direct connection (Tan/Blue) from the warning horn (beeper) to the Temp and oil pressure switches and the drive lube bottle. When switch closed the horn would sound.

Today, up graded to the MEFI-3 and now all these same switches, Drive lube (Tan/Wht), Oil pressure (BK Blue) and Water Temp (Yel) go to the computer. There is another Tan/Wht wire which connects to the Tan/Blu wire on the engine harness connector. This connector on the wiring diagram shows 5 terminals, mine has 2 smaller connectors.

Issue: when the key is turned to on the fuel pump runs for a few seconds, the normal two beep signal is not heard. No beeps or other sounds are heard. With the engine running at idle, I have grounded the lube bottle terminal and the temp sender wire one at a time. No warning horn/beeper is heard. Put my scanner on the engine and no codes. Not seeing codes would be normal for the MEFI-3 per the sheet I have.

I'm looking for a connection between the switches and the Tan/Blu wire via the Tan/Wht wire coming from the ECM
Also on other motors I have heard the startup beeps come from the engine and not the horn under the helm. Is there a beeper mounted on the engine?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes mefi3 has a beeper in the engine bay on a volvo and my merc has one under the dash seperate from the horn in each case. The alarm should sound off three times at start to signal all system's go.

Last edited by Pliant; 08-10-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pliant
Yes mefi3 has a beeper in the engine bay on a volvo and my merc has one under the dash seperate from the horn in each case.
Thanks, do you know which wires or connector it uses in the harness? I have two wires close to the ECM which may be them, one appears to be Tan/Wht and the other is Blk and both have Push type insulated connectors
Old 08-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish i was at home i would follow the wiring down, however they are push type connectors...and the only push connector on the whole system
Old 01-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Registered

Well lets retry this with more info. Accomplished some tracing and ringing out of wiring and I might be getting close to the answer. If I understand it correctly there are two different MEFI3 modules. The early modules used pin J1-4 or J1-6 and may have been connected together internally to send signal to ECM, later modules used only J1-6. In looking at my wiring harness connector it does not have a wire on J1-6 but does have one on J1-4.

So still guessing here, the ECM and harness do not match. Wondering if the pin can be moved from 6 to 4, or I need a jumper. Sure don't want to damage the ECM but would sure like my alarm to work

Last edited by AllDodge; 01-27-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Sent a separate PM but thought I'd bring this one back up.

Any updates? Did you get it working? I'm in a similar situation.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Registered

It still doesn't work, but since I now have MEFI Burn I plan to look into it. So far I'm looking into my AFR readings to see about leaning it out a tad more because there is to much soot building up. Also my oil is getting to hot so installed this season a 2.75 x 18 cooler and at least the oil is staying cooler. Will remove the code 44 flag so I don't have to worry if I have to run 93 octane. There have been things I've tried to fix for years but at least I'm getting closer.

The MEFI should be able to turn on the alarm, but think they were turned off because of higher performance tunes and was told, did not want something to reduce power and maybe kill someone (doing over 100 mph). So still checking and I'm new to MEFI burn so its baby steps for me
Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Got it. I didn't realize you were running a hot rodded ecm.

I'll get to doing some tracing on mine. I have some wiring coming from the newere harnesses at the helm that aren't hooked up (they're tied up and capped). Hoping I can get this working on mine.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Got it. I didn't realize you were running a hot rodded ecm.

I'll get to doing some tracing on mine. I have some wiring coming from the newere harnesses at the helm that aren't hooked up (they're tied up and capped). Hoping I can get this working on mine.
Mine are all hooked up they just don't work. This is one of the things I hope to fix with MEFI Burn
Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have the original factory alarm set up on the boat now (it's the annoying mechanical buzzer that I'll be converting to piezo), and it's connected to alert for low oil pressure, high coolant temp, and high trans temp. I'd like to merge these with the MEFI 3 so that it controls everything and I get warnings everything.