Oil temperature issue

Notices

Oil temperature issue

Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Oil temperature issue

I have a question about oil temps. What is ok and not ok. I am running Amsoil 20x50 oil Full Synthetic. At the beginning of the season I had thru transom with silent choice and my oil temps would be around 225 degrees @3400 rpms. Water pressure was 10-12 lbs . I also had custom tee fittings between the exhaust manifold and the riser dumping some water over board to help stop the reversion. I removed the silent choice due to reversion issues anyway. I sent out my short style Eddie Marine stainless steel exhaust risers and had them extended to standard length. I noticed when they came back the water outlet holes at the end of the exhaust pipe were small.3 of them. I called Eddie Marine about that and they said they made them smaller to hold back the water to help cool the SS pipes better.I have been noticing that my water pressure is now 14-16 lbs@3400 rpms and my oil temp is also running higher around 230-240 cruising @ 3400 rpms. I re hooked up the fittings to dump some water before the risers again like when i had the silent choice and the water pressure dropped 5lbs and the oil temp went down 10 degress, the only dilema is the SS pipes at idle were getting hot from the reduction of water. So with the water dumps installed I am getting lower water pressure and lower oil temperatures because the water is flowing thru the cooler faster but when i disconnect the water dumps and all water is coming out the 3 little holes at the end of the exhaust pipe the pressure and temp goes up BUT my SS pipes run cool at idle....SO...what do i do???

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your oil temps are fine, I run 260+ at 4800 RPM for 5 miles or so, idle the last .5 mile to the boat house and temps drops to below 180.
I run a 100% petroleum oil, never worried.

Ken
Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

240-250 on synthetic wouldn't bother me.

But, what would concern me is this - what happens when you run WFO for a while?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was the Temp in the oil pan I would say no problem but if it's after the cooler then you need to see what the pan temp is and go from there...
Old 08-13-2015, 05:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544161[/ATTACH]The oil temp sensor is located on the remote oil filter. I believe that is before the cooler. Looking at the arrow on the remote oil filter housing, that oil line comes from the block, feeds the filter then heads toward the oil cooler then out of the cooler and back to the block. I am more concerned about the cruising 3400-3600 rpm oil temps more than WOT. I do more cruising than wot and if i run at wot its not for very long. After the last wot run I really didn't look at the temp, I was more concerned what was in front of me but i can say after stopping and idling for a few minutes the gauge was down around 200-210. No alarms or buzzers. I'll have to take note of the oil temps the next time i open her up.
Attached Thumbnails Oil temperature issue-20150530_140503.jpg  

Last edited by 35fountain; 08-13-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I would want my filter AFTER the cooler to filter out anything that might be in the cooler. Filter as the last thing before it goes to the block has a good feel to me
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Thats how I set mine up, I want it filtered right before entering block, some will say hotter oil filters better but I never had any issues..been that way for years...
Originally Posted by seafordguy
I would want my filter AFTER the cooler to filter out anything that might be in the cooler. Filter as the last thing before it goes to the block has a good feel to me
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How about a larger oil cooler. 240 degrees at constant cruise, is too hot in my opinion.

What temperature water thermostat are you using?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Thats how I set mine up, I want it filtered right before entering block, some will say hotter oil filters better but I never had any issues..been that way for years...
Uhh, if the filter is in front of cooler how did chit ever get there? I've got believe that hot oil is going to filter much better than cooled.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember, oil is tested for viscosity at 210. That is under no load. 30 degrees hotter is nothing to worry about.

FWIW, my temp sender is located in the filter housing also.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.