Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp >

Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp

Notices

Talon wouldn't fire yesterday at the ramp

Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean what kind of exhaust headers are you using? very nice looking engine!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by two7pro
Dean what kind of exhaust headers are you using? very nice looking engine!
CMI's polished E-tops:

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...ished-kit.html
Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Update, Finally took so time off from work, replaced coil, and still no fire. Got dark, didn't get to check for +12VDC at the coil + term. Anyone know a good Merc. tech. in central Fl? I don't have time to work on it, and I need to get her sold before March....
Thanks,
Dean
Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

since it is MSD ignition, i don't think you need a merc tech,, You just need someone that understands ignitions. Since I think you said it is a stand alone and you have replaced coil,??.Not many parts left .. If your battery is weak an MSD system won't work below something like 8-9 volts. Check battery voltage while spinning engine over with starter and see what it is...JMO and good luck. edit .Almost forgot ..Unhook tach and any wires connected to coil that aren't ignition related...Like an interrupt switch on -...electric choke possibly hooked to +...etc..

Last edited by motor; 02-05-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Thanks that's 1 of the 1st things I verified at the ramp,+12.3 VDC on the + terminal of the coil. Also, verified the lanyard is the not the problem.
I had a lanyard situation on my MSD box and blaster coil last spring. The faulty lanyard switch wasn't activating the MSD box's internal power relay. Jumped the lanyard and it started! I'm installing a 2 wire Weatherpack connector for power and ground to allow easy swap out of the MSD box on the water as it seems to be "not if but when" there'll be a problem. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

He does not have a box, just ready to run distributor and coil. I have same on my back up motors. Simple system. Need to check for 12Vt at coil.....but I think you already know this.

Ed
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

If you have 12+ on the coil + terminal then it sounds like you have either a ground problem....or theres a connection issue between the coil and the distributor....could be the quick connect from the distributor.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change dist. they have a internal module, and if like most all other MSD(may soon die) bet that where the issue is, I run the H/P HEI dist, simple never had a failure
Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Check for voltage with the key on at the + side of the coil. Also in case you missed it, check your lanyard. It actually opens the wire going to the + side of the coil when activated to kill spark.
^^^^ By-pass your dash saftey Teather / Laynard. (backside should be removable male/ female as on most style switches.) then verify voltage.

I know its been mentioned. Years ago my Sea Ray would die after 15 minutes of running.. then 10 then 5 then gladly it died completed . I may have never found it intermittently but I lucked out.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmattj
^^^^ By-pass your dash saftey Teather / Laynard. (backside should be removable male/ female as on most style switches.) then verify voltage.

I know its been mentioned. Years ago my Sea Ray would die after 15 minutes of running.. then 10 then 5 then gladly it died completed . I may have never found it intermittently but I lucked out.
As a side bar-- I read a lot about these kill switch malfunctions -- is it possible the reason why so many have had issues is that we don't use them -- In other words should we routinely toggle the switch up and down (or in and out) to get rid of any corrosion/nasty's--- just a thought.

3pointstar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.