Please any Help/Input/Advice -500 EFI >

Please any Help/Input/Advice -500 EFI

Notices

Please any Help/Input/Advice -500 EFI

Old 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Keep up to date with what's going on.....I will be curious how this plays out.....I know they don't want bad publicity. It will be interesting
UPDATE: Called Shogrens, talked to Scott Sjogren himself. Im going to paraphrase here but he told me "...Thats what happens when you buy a used boat. Thats why new performance marine engines only come with a one year warranty. I sell these boats 'as is, where is' and I'm black and white about that... you can bring the boat back up here and we can take a look at it for you. If its something minor we'll see what we can do. but I'm not going to make any promises..." I asked whats it going to cost me? he said "I don't know depends on whats wrong..."
What I got from the conversation with him is:: Bring it back up here at your own expense, we might take care of it if its nothing too expensive. But if its something major we can still fix it but its going to cost you::
ARE YOU FING SERIOUS? HE PUT HIS NAME ON THE BOAT.... AND WON'T STAND BEHIND IT AFTER 1 DAY

After talking to my local offshore friends here and their mechanics. They seem to think the probable cause for my problems are valve seats.

Last edited by trimdwn4what; 09-21-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trimdwn4what
UPDATE: Called Shogrens, talked to Scott Sjogren himself. Im going to paraphrase here but he told me "...Thats what happens when you buy a used boat. Thats why new performance marine engines only come with a one year warranty. I sell these boats 'as is, where is' and I'm black and white about that... you can bring the boat back up here and we can take a look at it for you. If its something minor we'll see what we can do. If it something major we fix it too. but I'm not going to make any promises..." I asked whats it going to cost me? he said "I don't know depends on whats wrong..."
What I got from the conversation with him is:: Bring it back up here at your own expense, we might take care of it if its nothing too expensive. But if its something major we can still fix it but its going to cost you::
ARE YOU FING SERIOUS? HE PUT HIS NAME ON THE BOAT.... AND WON'T STAND BEHIND IT AFTER 1 DAY
I know this is not what you are going to want to hear but all Shogren adds have the disclaimer he paraphrased for you. Take this as a lesson in used boat buying next time pay to have the engines scanned, leak down test, survey and a sea trial...... and even with all this there is no guarantee, sometime bad things just happen.

I really feel bad for you and the position your in my advice is not to take it back to Shogren find someone really good close to you and take it to them and by really good I mean on a level with Eddie Young, Mer-Performance basically someone that has a stellar reputation.

I live close to Shogren and would not go there for service I learned a long time ago while the names I mentioned will appear to be expensive in the long run they will be the most affordable.

Very sorry to hear this happened to you.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your first step is going to be to determine the root cause of the oil leak. If it is a valve cover gasket or even an oil cap gasket, that really isn't too bad. Clean the mess up thoroughly. I have a steam cleaner I use but you can get decent results from a little degreaser and a pressure washer. From there I would buy a bottle of oil dye and a battery powered UV light kit. Add the dye to the engine, tie the boat up to a dock, and run it at 3500 RPM's for 10 minutes or so and start looking for the source of the leak. It is entirely possible it may just be a loose valve cover, but you aren't going to find anything until you clean it up and get looking. Pay particular attention to oil pressure and oil temperature senders as those typically will make a giant mess quick when they start to leak.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully it's nothing too serious. It could still be the oil lines that run along the side of the engine. They may need to be warm and under pressure to develop the leak. Clean it well, then bring it back up to temp and look for the leak.

I would also do a leak down and compression test to put your mind at ease.

By the way, where I cbus are you? I'm out east near newark. Nice to see more locals on the board. Welcome to OSO.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Registered

Another thought, it could still be a valve cover gasket. Usually at idle there isn't a tremendous amount of oil moving to the top end. At high revs, lots of oil up there!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Your first step is going to be to determine the root cause of the oil leak. If it is a valve cover gasket or even an oil cap gasket, that really isn't too bad. Clean the mess up thoroughly. I have a steam cleaner I use but you can get decent results from a little degreaser and a pressure washer. From there I would buy a bottle of oil dye and a battery powered UV light kit. Add the dye to the engine, tie the boat up to a dock, and run it at 3500 RPM's for 10 minutes or so and start looking for the source of the leak. It is entirely possible it may just be a loose valve cover, but you aren't going to find anything until you clean it up and get looking. Pay particular attention to oil pressure and oil temperature senders as those typically will make a giant mess quick when they start to leak.
I've spread the word around my local boating community. Had friends and friends of friends talk to their high-performance boat mechanics. People seem to think from the amount of oil that came out and the fact that it did so under higher rpm/load that its something more serious. Along the lines of valve seals... or worse like a bad piston ring..... I've been advised not to start the boat incase it is a piston ring to hopefully prevent scoring on cylinder wall.

Total nightmare.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Registered

I've spread the word around my local boating community. Had friends and friends of friends talk to their high-performance boat mechanics. People seem to think from the amount of oil that came out and the fact that it did so under higher rpm/load that its something more serious. Along the lines of valve seals... or worse like a bad piston ring..... I've been advised not to start the boat incase it is a piston ring to hopefully prevent scoring on cylinder wall.

Total nightmare.
Both valve seals and a broken ring would put oil in the exhaust as well. Pull your plugs (when you do your comprrssion test) and look for evidence of oil fouling.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Hopefully it's nothing too serious. It could still be the oil lines that run along the side of the engine. They may need to be warm and under pressure to develop the leak. Clean it well, then bring it back up to temp and look for the leak.

I would also do a leak down and compression test to put your mind at ease.

By the way, where I cbus are you? I'm out east near newark. Nice to see more locals on the board. Welcome to OSO.

Im in Pataskala. I see that your names Artie.. Would you happen to know a guy named Colby? With an old Formula?? If so, pretty small world because he told me to try to find a guy named Artie who knows a lot about these engines lol.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Registered

Im in Pataskala. I see that your names Artie.. Would you happen to know a guy named Colby? With an old Formula?? If so, pretty small world because he told me to try to find a guy named Artie who knows a lot about these engines lol.
That would be me

I know a thing or two about em

I'll pm you my number, give me a shout tomorrow if you like.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
That would be me

I know a thing or two about em

I'll pm you my number, give me a shout tomorrow if you like.
AWESOME! Ya man ill give you a shout tomorrow! Thanks!!