Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Spring oilers >

Spring oilers

Notices

Spring oilers

Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I see lots of guys making them out of tubing, and simply drilling holes for the oiling, or drilling them and tapping them for different size jets/nozzles.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys think there would be much benefit to adding spring oilers on lower horsepower engines? I'm probably gonna be putting some small whipples on my (basically) stock 454 mags over the winter, and I'm assuming the max hp I'll be making is 525-550ish each. These whipples have a spot where you have to run an oil line to that cools the bearings, and another fitting that you just dump back into the crankcase, but i was thinking about dumping them into a valvespring oiler system instead....? What do you think, sound like it would be worth it?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

I run the billet fabrication covers, with a titan pump. We see no drop in pressure. We also plumbed a return line from the back of the head to the pan.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
Do you guys think there would be much benefit to adding spring oilers on lower horsepower engines? I'm probably gonna be putting some small whipples on my (basically) stock 454 mags over the winter, and I'm assuming the max hp I'll be making is 525-550ish each. These whipples have a spot where you have to run an oil line to that cools the bearings, and another fitting that you just dump back into the crankcase, but i was thinking about dumping them into a valvespring oiler system instead....? What do you think, sound like it would be worth it?
Stock cam/springs/RPM range of a 454 MAG I would not bother.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

That's what i figured... i was only considering it because I'm having to run an oil line up there anyway for the blowers. And thought it would help with the long distance poker runs i do
Old 10-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

With all the trouble with the 525efi springs, Has anyone out there used them on that engine to extend spring life ? And if so, what did they get for results?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
They raise the valve cover a bit so if you`re close anywhere like I was with the Gen3 manifold might wanna take that into consideration. I had to get a header spacer. I haven`t noticed any oil temp difference. My oil pressure dropped 10psi with a 10778 HV pump most noticeable at at idle after a good run. I plan on a Titan or Shumann pump upgrade this winter.
Can be a pain to line up 2 gaskets and the spring oiler .. it would be better if the were part of the valve cover.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...teresting.html

SB posted some good info on their benefits. I like the peace of mind that I have plenty of cooling and lubrication up there.

I tapped them of my Thermofilter (line with warning light) I teed of that line for the other side later

Dan, looks like I am going your route. Did you restrict (with a jet) your oil going to the sprayers? I am going to modify a AN fitting to take carb jets.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I have spring oilers under the valve covers plumbed from my oil thermostate filter housings and in the T&D steel shaft rockers. Seems to be working great! Not everyone agreed on that setup but I insisted. We also opened up the drain holes in the heads. Engine details are in this thread...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ser-video.html