Out of the box heads?

Notices

Out of the box heads?

Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I remember you saying they were tight. What did your valve stem and guide diameters measure out to? Stem issue or guide issue?
If your asking me .001 intake .0012 exhaust out of the box, now .0020 intake and .0022 exh
Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WAY more than necessary, especially on the intakes, IMO.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
WAY more than necessary, especially on the intakes, IMO.
I set them upbthebwaybeverynotjer marine engine I ever had has been set up, I run my boat in cold water as early as April 40 degree water and want to make sure I have no issues. Last 2 sets of engines been the same over 10 years no issues. Now tight I have had issues...I did what I know works
Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Full Force
I set them upbthebwaybeverynotjer marine engine I ever had has been set up, I run my boat in cold water as early as April 40 degree water and want to make sure I have no issues. Last 2 sets of engines been the same over 10 years no issues. Now tight I have had issues...I did what I know works
That's fine, I'm just sayin... .0015-16 on the intakes is plenty, and .0018-<.0020 is plenty on the ex. I consider more than .002 "worn", but that's just me. Excessive guide clearance is like excessive cylinder clearance. Some guys like to run things "loose". Kind of a preference thing I guess.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My AFR 385 V2's were .0018 across the board on all 16. Had 4 checked in one shop and the rest in another everything was dead nuts the same. Both shops said the same thing. They had never seen a set of heads with everything so even across the board. I will get the Valve job checked on a Serdi in the next week or so to see what we have... Really for the money I paid for the complete heads I don't think I could have bought them bare then purchased the rest of the parts for that kind of money. If they need some extra work... Whatever. I'm happy with so far. T&D Steel shafts with .802 lift on the intake ended up with a great pattern on the valve. I'll let you guys in on the results of the valve job good or bad.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Baja
My AFR 385 V2's were .0018 across the board on all 16. Had 4 checked in one shop and the rest in another everything was dead nuts the same. Both shops said the same thing. They had never seen a set of heads with everything so even across the board. I will get the Valve job checked on a Serdi in the next week or so to see what we have... Really for the money I paid for the complete heads I don't think I could have bought them bare then purchased the rest of the parts for that kind of money. If they need some extra work... Whatever. I'm happy with so far. T&D Steel shafts with .802 lift on the intake ended up with a great pattern on the valve. I'll let you guys in on the results of the valve job good or bad.
That would be a first for me. Very rarely do I see guide clearance on an AFR head much over .001". They used to be very consistent and straight, but something has changed lately and their guide work is not what it used to be. I think they changed guides, as well. Even with their tighter than ideal (for marine use) guides, I don't think you can get a better production head.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting. The few friends I have that bought new AFR bbc heads, did not see .0018 guide clearance. Not surprising to me, as AFR themselves say they come tighter than that, in their own literature....and the ones that were checked, were in fact, tighter than that. The disclaimer from their afr "dealer" was , "Afr used smaller stem sizes, so that measurement was innaccurate, and the guide clearance needs to be checked with AFR's supplied valve". Ummmm, if you bought complete heads, wouldn't standard procedure be, to measure the stem of the valve the heads came with!?? What valve did this dealer think they were measureing? A valve out of a 1985 buick that was on the shelf?

Valve Guide Clearance:
Our typical valve guide clearances are .0013”-.0016”. In some severe applications (nitrous, marine endurance racing, or blower usage) looser guides might be required. Check with your engine builder.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/installation.php
Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Interesting. The few friends I have that bought new AFR bbc heads, did not see .0018 guide clearance. Not surprising to me, as AFR themselves say they come tighter than that, in their own literature....and the ones that were checked, were in fact, tighter than that. The disclaimer from their afr "dealer" was , "Afr used smaller stem sizes, so that measurement was innaccurate, and the guide clearance needs to be checked with AFR's supplied valve". Ummmm, if you bought complete heads, wouldn't standard procedure be, to measure the stem of the valve the heads came with!?? What valve did this dealer think they were measureing? A valve out of a 1985 buick that was on the shelf?

Valve Guide Clearance:
Our typical valve guide clearances are .0013”-.0016”. In some severe applications (nitrous, marine endurance racing, or blower usage) looser guides might be required. Check with your engine builder.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/installation.php
With a Sunnen gauge you have to set the tool up with the valves then you can measure the guides.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

With a Sunnen gauge you have to set the tool up with the valves then you can measure the guides.
Right, so I'm not understanding the "afr valve size" thing?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Right, so I'm not understanding the "afr valve size" thing?
Can't help you with that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.