Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing? >

Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing?

Notices

Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 425 Likes on 257 Posts

I run mine as low as I can and add Stabil. Fill it up in the spring and have never had a problem
Old 11-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I fill my tank full with 91 Non Ethanol plus stabilizer

To hard to pump 100s of gallons of gas out, no where to put it, plus I drive mostly diesels

Then I spike the fuel in the spring with 112 race fuel

Full or empty are both good options but I like the addition of using NON ETHONAL fuel no matter which way you choose
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you do run your tank empty in the fall, and you have EFI, be careful in the early spring. Many times the pumps in early spring still have 'winter mix' fuel which has a lower boiling point and can cause vapor lock very easily. I have learned this the hard way on my twin 500EFIs over the last few years. I leave about 1/4-1/3 tank in there stabilized. Enough to get me through the early spring until they start carrying 'summer mix' fuel.

Ive heard you can also 'spike it' with some higher octane to prevent this, but have not tried it myself.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the tanks about half full with Non-Ethanol 91. I run Double the amount of Marine Stabil in the gas for the end of the season fill and I also add Sea Foam. It seems to work out good for me. Knock on wood
Old 11-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Used to always store full with Stabilizer when 100% gas was norm. Now, with E10 it's empty as possible with Stabil. I used the new Stabil 360* ethanol treatment this year which supposedly protects the tank! lines etc... From ethanol associated corrosion.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:45 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Non ethanol fuel can be treated as it has been for years. Stabilize and fill. E-10 as per Merc, when at all possible empty the tank. You can not stabilize E-10 and have fuel in the spring that meets engine manufacture minimum octane ratings. The stabilizer can treat the base fuel, lube the tank walls and ect, but it can not retain the ethanol which will evaporate in 3-5 weeks and or absorb moisture. So run it low as possible stabilize, winterize and the pump it out. This has been our procedure since the implementation of E-10 and have not had one fuel related issue with my customers that follow this procedure.

E-10 has a short shelf life 3 weeks for 86 and up to 5 weeks for 93. This is why you can not fill it and store it stabilizer can not stop evaporation and water absorption.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:48 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also spent a better part of an hour with a chemical engineer from a major brand of fuel stabilizer and he confirmed that you can treat it for minimizing the side effects but nothing can be done about the evaporation / moisture absorption.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

I've stored full, I've stared empty and I've stored in the middle. I've stored with and without fuel stabilizer. Never had any trouble either way and it's always been ethanol fuel. My fuel filters never have any discernible water in them in the spring.

I think this topic is over analyzed.....
Old 11-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found my fuel tank to be leaking after sitting for a while filled to the top. +1 for pumping the tank dry right here!

...well I guess if i never filled it i wouldn't have noticed the leak until spring. Which would have sucked.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store as close to empty as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.