Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil & Tranny Cooler Water Leak >

Oil & Tranny Cooler Water Leak

Notices

Oil & Tranny Cooler Water Leak

Old 09-19-2002, 07:59 AM
sroker

Angry Oil & Tranny Cooler Water Leak

My problem is this, bolted to the block is the bell-housing with oil cooler(port) and tranny cooler(starboard), then the B-W tranny. Most of the bell-housing bolts are external, but inside each cooler is one bolt each that goes thru the housing and into the block, this bolt is leaking water into the bell housing and hitting the fly-wheel and shorting out the starter, I have fixed this once but apparently the sealant I used is not tuff enuff, what is a good sealer for high water preasure? Also, does anybody know if this bolt should have a rubber gasket, because I did not find one when I removed the bolt. Is there any additional care I should be taking?
Attached Thumbnails Oil & Tranny Cooler Water Leak-coolerpic.jpg  

Old 09-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

My Scarab had the same setup.....all i did was use some black RTV silicone around the head of the bolt before installing it. I let it get tacky before installing it but ive never had any leakage problems.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Mercury actually shows a copper washer for that. We just use a stainless AN washer and some RTV as Walley says. You might want to check the bolt length, it could be too long and bottoming out.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:47 PM
J.V.IRONHANDS

Question

Sroker, maybe Marc has something there about the copper washer, I remember there wasn't a washer on either side but that doesn/t mean there shouldn't be one. We'll check the bolt length also. Gene's Marine should show that in there microfish.P.S. how about that custom Sroker avatar!!

Last edited by J.V.IRONHANDS; 09-19-2002 at 06:50 PM.