Need some gimbal parts before installation advice please >

Need some gimbal parts before installation advice please

Notices

Need some gimbal parts before installation advice please

Old 12-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some gimbal parts before installation advice please

I stripped an old Sea Ray for the gimbal and drive assembly , now before putting it back on my boat I would like to get the necessary parts to do it right. When taking of the gimbal assembly two "bolts/stud" snapped off ... they are the ones at the bottom.

The parts are not at home now so I can't look at them to confirm what I need to replace those studs / bolts , Can you guys confirm they are studs and the part numbers on the image below ? Also do I need this gasket to the hull or just some caulking ?

Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

That assembly looks pretty used. Id check the steering arm for slop and be having it sand blasted. Id check for cracks and being corroded through before I started installing it. Pretty discouraging to put all that work into installing it and find water coming through the tiller arm, or a hole in the case.

Yes I'd use the gasket and put a new o ring on the exhaust outlet too. Being a sea Ray exhaust went through the prop most likely? That could harden the rubber and cause a leak now that it's been removed. Merc used all those parts for a reason.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input ,

The paint is really crappy attempt at freshin it up , the tiller is super tight with no slop at all but did see a little bit of rust in there ... not sure how to change that seal if there is one there ... The exhaust y pipe and belows is being removed for my boat.

How about those studs ? is that what I need to order ?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Notice below the updated studs below it? Where do those go. Maybe those replace the two that broke.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram750
Thanks for the input ,

The paint is really crappy attempt at freshin it up , the tiller is super tight with no slop at all but did see a little bit of rust in there ... not sure how to change that seal if there is one there ... The exhaust y pipe and belows is being removed for my boat.

How about those studs ? is that what I need to order ?
Yes, you will need the big transom gasket. You will need the oring and a block off plate (not shown on the diagram) for the exhaust hole.

If the seal on the upper pin is bad, it should be changed or it will leak especially if the boat sits low at the transom. Many times the corrosion eats around the seal making installing a new one questionable. If you do try to replace it, heat the hinge pins a bit as they are locktighted in.

Rebuilding these are a pain, especially when they are corroded. JR Marine was very helpful to me when I rebuilt a pair (worn gimbal and steering pins).

Edit: Also the 2 bolts you need are 22 in the diagram.
Edit again (sorry): The 2 bolts are 2A as it looks like you have the newer style. The older style had through bolts (22 in the diagram)

Last edited by Mr Maine; 12-08-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Registered

Would that be 13-15 the seals ?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...steering-lever
Old 12-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

I guess at this point I should just take it all appart :/ see what needs replacing ...
Old 12-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram750
#4 is the seal in this diagram. What you are looking at are washers.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...GIMBAL+HOUSING
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I have made this mistake 2 times now. I tried to refreshen gimbals and shouldn't have.

Once you add up the price of new bellows, seals, steering arm, shift cable, paint, plus some of the unknowns (leaking distribution blocks, the potential for rebuilds of the trim rams at some point soon it just doesn't make sense not to grab one of the new ones - you can buy the complete ones now for 2,000 that come fully assembled, with trim rams, etc....

I have been where you are trying to budget and both times (most recently last winter) I screwed up and didn't just buy new ones. It was different when they were 5k, but they are cheap now. Just food for thought.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

Everything works well except that I am seeing a little bit of rust in the pocket where the lever is ... The ram's are solid , no slop at all in the whole assembly ... even the bellows look fresh ... I am just going to change those seals. And 2k for you is 3k for me in Canada. I have to keep doing things on a budget on I won't be boating again for another summer.

MR.Maine , I think #4 actually is the nylon like washer for the up down movement of the ring...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.